Getting my Bachelors in Business Managemen??!!

Hi everyone! I am 27 with 2 kids. I have my Associates in Elementary Ed. and have been subbing for a year now. I always thought I wanted to be a teacher, but now that I'm doing it I just dont think I'd want to do this everyday of my life. I have decided that I am going to go back to school, online, for my Bachelors in Business Management. I'm the type of person that usually feels i have my life in some sort of order and now that ive changed my degree i'm really confused. I'm not sure exactly what it is I'd like to do. I would love to own my own business or climb the corporate ladder. I even thought about working in a School(board of Ed.) office to have the same schedule as mykids. btw..i've been a stay a home mom since my daughter was born. Does anyone have any advice for me..I could really use it..maybe what road I could take if I got this degree..any type of suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thank you! :)

kprincess19

Asked by kprincess19 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

In your position, I would find an office job with a company that offers tuition reimbursement. A business education is much more meaningful when combined with real world experience.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:20 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I do agree with what you said about on line degrees or courses for as much as possible - one of my kids does that. It saves on gas and tolls, wear and tear on tires, saves on having to get a quick bite out to eat. Saves on sitters for kids.

University of Pheonix' on line courses. is doing a ton of commercials - if in your state they're licensed and legimate plus federally then maybe they're ok.

Other colleges too even out of state offer on line Bachelor's Degrees. Some colleges have daycare for students' kids - don't know the cost.

Good for you for doing this, hope it becomes a reality!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Thank you both! I am going to Wilmington University which is in Delaware..close to where i live. They're very well known in my state of of course Delaware..I guess I'm just nervous because I dont have any experience in this field..and usually I have my life all planned out..so I'm stepping out of my "comfort zone" i guess. Is this degree a good degree to pick for Business. The classes I have to take are a little bit of everything from Accounting to Financing, Managament, Marketing..etc. I thought it'd be good because i'd have experience, a little in each field, and am hoping that I either really take to one or am really good at one and go from there..??
    kprincess19

Answer by kprincess19 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Your degree will be in management which involves knowing something about every aspect of managing a business, not just marketing or accounting or any other single aspect. You have the choice of a minor. There is where your personal strength will come through. You would be wise to make yourself very versatile. Take extra courses in areas where you're not so strong. I was able to get a Flex minor, which included accounting, computer skills, and finance. This way you are able to slide into any business position with a better understanding.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Look into Liberty University's online program. http://www.luonline.com It is highly rated and I personally love it. Plus the degree you get will just say Liberty University on it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I dont know if I have the choice of a minor..it didnt say that..it just said Business Management. I was thinking that I'd take all the classes to get my Bachelors, see what I'm interested in or really good at..then if I decided to go for my Masters to specialize in that area..but I do love the idea of taking a few extra classes in a certain area to better understand it. thanx for the advice..and the Liberty University program, I did look into that as well..My brother in law is taking online classes for Psychology, but I just figured for around my area I'd stick with a school in Delaware. On my degree it will just say Wilmington Univerisity as well. But thank you! :)
    kprincess19

Answer by kprincess19 at 5:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I have a BS in Business Administration. It is WORTHLESS. People only want you for SALES jobs. All the "good" employers I interviewed with looked kind of disgusted that I didn't have a specific focus in business, but I told them my college's program was not set up that way. No calls back from them. Yay.

Be SURE to have a specific focus in a specific area of business.

I have a piece of paper that I am in debt thousands of dollars for and it's worth NOTHING.
    Anonymous

• on no!! really??? I have a friend that works at J.P Morgan as the Vice President and she told me this degree was good because it gives you knowledge in every area??!! UGH!!! I'm confused now! :(
    kprincess19

Answer by kprincess19 at 5:48 AM on Dec. 17, 2009