GAH Seriously? Why move to a bigger city if you cant afford it right?

How is the monthly amount of food stamps in Nevada .
I get $300 a month here in Ct.
I know I will need them with the low paying jobs in the Vegas area.

This was written back in 2008 and it still just blows my mind someone would ask that! If you cant afford it then why move?
If you know you cant have a good paying job then why leave?
Gah some people I swear!
And no I wasnt "looking" for this. I was on citydata to get information about a job transfer and places that would be good to live in Vegas. I ended up coming across this.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/las-vegas/248957-food-stamps.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No foodstamps doesnt.
    My sister makes 1500 a month period that is it. 2 kids husbnad left her and she CANT get foodstamps " she makes to much"
    Anonymous

• 1. They could have family or friends there where they didn't have to pay rent. 2. They may be transferring to go to school. 3. They may want to be a legal prostitute and live at the Mustang Ranch. The point is ppl move for many reasons. It may be opportunity. They may be in the middle of a divorce and need to get out and have a free ride to Nev. Maybe they are being abused and the domestic violence shelter worked something out to get her transported to another state to be safe. Who knows? Who cares really? Not sure why she asked bc she could have asked her food stamp worker to look it up for her.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Probably because they can't afford to live where they live either.
    When my oldest was born we were living in a small town in MO where the cost of living is really low (my efficiency apt was $170/month and a 2 bedroom would run you about $240 with utilities included except electric). But wages were so low even that was expensive. My husband had a "good" paying job in town making $6.33/hour (in 2000). Nobody can live on that even in a small town. We weren't on any type of assistance but we were barely getting by.
    We moved to Chicago and lived with family because even with a job making $8.60/hour we could never afford a place of our own. He makes almost $18/hour now and we still can't afford to get our own place here (still live with my dad).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Did you bother to look up the cost of living in CT. It is one big suburb for NYC. CT is by far the more expensive and crowded area. Vegas is a mid sized city. NYC leaks over into two other states. Heck there are people who live in PA and work in the city! So make that 3 other states.
    Anonymous

• There are a host of reasons why the person might need to move. Remember you can be on food stamps and not cash aid. Food stamps has a more generous limit than cash aid, as it is intended to help the working poor, as a suppliment to what they earn. So without knowing more details I can't and shouldn't comment. That might be a bit of wisdom for all of us. Wait till you have the facts before you form an opinion.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2009