About when do you stop using a potty training seat for your little one?

My son has just about got the hang of using the potty. YAY! He's three. I just am curious about when I should take the baby potty seat off and train him to go directly on the big people potty. I think he may fall in or something. Ha ha. What are your thoughts?

AngelPuff1012

Asked by AngelPuff1012 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would say right now because they need to get use to the big potty!
    ashme2why2

Answer by ashme2why2 at 12:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Mine only used the potty seat a handful of times. I don't think my youngest ever used it. At 3, your son should be fine. He will need to use his hands on the seat next to him so he doesn't fall in.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I start potty training on the big seat right away. I don't use the little seat so I would say now if you want to try it. The clean up is much nicer.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My 3 yr old refuses to use it now. She is a pretty tiny thing & I am always worried about her falling in but she just hangs on to the sides lol
    Anonymous

• We never had one they used the potty at age 1 and then went straight to the toilet at 2. Just be there incase he looks like he's gonna fall, but he cant use the mini seat forever. 3 is kinda late.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 12:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Thanks ladies. I think I'll take the seat off today and put it away. It took him forever to potty train. He just was never ready, heaven knows I tried so many times - so I am just thrilled that he actually wakes up with a dry pull-up and tells me he needs to go, ...or just goes! I'm so proud of him. Now if I can only get him to put his underwear and pants back on when he's all done going.
    AngelPuff1012

Answer by AngelPuff1012 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My son at 3.5 years old is still using the little potty. He hates the big potty because when he was potty training and using the big potty(doing awesome!) we were at target and ours have automatically flushed and it flushed! Scared him and now he refuses to use any big potty except preschool. He will do it when he is ready. He is fully potty trained and has been for several months.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• OP, it sounds like he IS using the big potty on a seat, right? When to take that off depends on their size. My daughter is too small at 2.5. When we go out, she has to sit sideways on the potty so she can lean forward with her hands on the wall. It's a size thing. At home, we also have an enlongated seat, so it'll be a while. If we have the seat, I don't have to help her on and off, just wiping. If I took that seat away, I'd have to help her through the whole thing.

apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• We stopped lugging around the ring pretty quickly (she trained at 19 months, we carried that around for maybe 2-3 months?) and then she always used the regular toilet in public. Once she realized she could climb up on the big seat by herself without a stepstool, but that the potty ring made it just a little too high and too easy to slip around, she just started using the regular seat on her own. She was probably around 24 months old? I think your 3 year-old can do it. You can hold him on there a few times till he gets his confidence.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• my dd is 33 mts but she has been train sice 24 mts. right now she is33 mts and since last wks she moved to the big girl potty on her own. i use to atke her and help her out. she now uses her potty as a step stool to get up the big potty
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2009