Christians: Do you think the Bible is necessary to your worship and way of life?

I'm asking as I'm so surprised at how many mums, who identify themselves as Christian, dismiss the Bible, believing it has little or no value in being acceptable to God.

JES xxx

CosyMama

Asked by CosyMama at 12:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• absolutely necessary. That is our life manual. I learned how to be a better wife and mother and my dh has learned how to be a better husband and father as well. Any question that i have, i know that i can find the answers in the bible.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I'm obviously showing my bias in asking this question. To me it's VITAL! Otherwise how can you know what God's thoughts or expectations of you are.

[Resisting the urge to quote from the Bible here :0)
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 12:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Of course, because after PRAISING THE ONE who created us, we have the desire to learn. Are you hungry for the TRUTH?!
    shestands4truth

Answer by shestands4truth at 12:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Of course it's important.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I am going to play the devil's advocate. We have the Holy Spirit to guide us, He is suppose to be our guide and teacher, right? They didn't have Bible's back in the Bible days, but they knew how to have a relationship with God.  There were many years that people didn't have Bibles.  So those who were Christians during that time, were they less of a Christian cause they didn't have Bibles.  Alot of those people didn't even know how to read.  So what about them?

Anonymous

• That's why sacred tradition is equally important.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• i think the Bible is important & has a lot of value for society (even to those who see it as nothing more than myth). however, i do not think it is perfect or w/o error and i have several reasons...

one, the men who transcribed & translated it over the years are only human & easily swayed by their own interpretations & the interpretations of those that were paying them.
    two, the "thoughts of the times" were often used to as a basis for their interpretations
    three, back in the day no one had a personal Bible. they only knew what was in it based on their church leaders. we all now that some church leaders arent as holy as they should be, so what was to keep them adding/taking away things from the Bible?
    i have more, but this should do for now...

so i do think the Bible is important & has value to me as a Christian, i just dont think it is the literal, perfect, God-inspired truth that it was when it was originally written down.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Yes.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Absolutely. That famous scripture CosyMama ......2 Tim 3:16.

I think our creator, Jehovah, God, would be the most fitting to give us life instructions because he is our maker. lol
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Can't Live Without It!
    kristinelovesu

Answer by kristinelovesu at 5:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2009