Second grader suspended for drawing of Jesus on the cross..did the school overreact?

The boy was suspended and parent told the boy had to get a psychological evaluation before he could return to the school...

I say yes clearly this teacher/the school overracted entirely

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 12:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Yes, Are they kidding???
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!!! Yes they over reacted and I think whoever said he needs a psych evaluation, needs one themselves. Good grief.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Momjoy you took the words out of my mouth. This was ridiculous. It is too bad the family took him to the evaluation. They should have never complied!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I'm not a Christian, and I think they overreacted.

Anonymous

• I read the article and most of the replies but I can't help wonder if this was presented differently but with the same drawing would everyone react differently. The school system and teachers would not have know than this little boy had gone to a shrine and was trying to depict a religious icon. Then add to the fact that this boy is special needs, what kind the article does not say, but I know there is a ton of pressure to follow procedures with them even if it looks stupid at the time. If a teacher fails to do so, it can cost her job. But I think this shows that system is working. He was evaluated according to procedure and returned to school. Everybody's butts are covered in this and he wasn't penalized beyond the initial evaluation.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Nah I still say it was ridiculous the kidswere asked to draw something in relation to Christmas..well seems fitting to me
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Isabella, I can see one person not knowing about Jesus on a cross and the relation to Christmas for some people. But it wasn't just one person. I would be very surprised that no one in the administration or that was involved in this situation had any knowledge of the christian beliefs at Christmas time! That is far fetched.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• You all know I'm not Christian but this was serious overreaction, IMO. Jesus dying is an important part of his faith. He was not using it to preach to other kids or infringe on the rights of others.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Morons!! You ask a kids question don't freak out just b/c you don't like the answer!!! The whole thing is ridiculous!! I am not a Christian, but I TOTALY understand why the kid would draw that!!! Uhhhggg!!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:46 PM on Dec. 15, 2009