Pretty much the worst Christmas ever. How do I keep from crying?

I never have money, I'm disabled and live on SSI and I'm used to it. However, this year all 3 of my sons and their families have had bad things happen and they all don't have money. Two of my sons don't have jobs. My only grandson was diagnosed with a rare disease worse than AIDS or cancer.

There will be few presents. We got an extra turkey at Thanksgiving so we will have food. I haven't even put up the tree. How do I make it festive when I feel like crying?

Gailll

Asked by Gailll at 12:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Holidays

• You have each other, sentiment, wrap something that you believe will bring back a wonderful memory, all of you do that. You can ask do you remember when........ You will have a wonderful time, and you will have a wonderful dinner.

Christmas is about being together, don't let not having gifts destroy your holiday.

Play lots of beautiful music and dance like you never danced before. Sing like you never sang before.

God Bless, and Happy Holidays. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Sorry : ( that's a lot going on
    If it were me- I think I would just force myself to put the tree and decrations up and bake some cookies for everyone :)
    I think maybe it could help lift your spirits.
    I think I would feel worse if I didn't try to make the best of it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Oh, do a grab bag of remember when???
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Think of some funny memories that are worth sharing, Make some homemade gifts if possible. It's not so much on gifts that isn't what Christmas is about. About celebrating Jesus, (if believe) and family. It will be just a temporary cituation, will get better.
    Anonymous

• dont think of it as a holiday, just see it as a regular day and spend that time with your family just sitting around and having fun, maybe charades or just watch the kids play. dont spend money on gifts, keep that money for bills or food. I know what its like not having money or even food in the fridge. Just make it a day to enjoy eachother and forget about gifts. (((((hugs))))). This is a virtual hug from me to you.
    Anonymous

• I'm so sorry for all of your hardships... Try and remember that you all have each other. I remember the first Christmas without my Mom, it was horrible. I miss her so much, all yr, but the Holidays are the hardest because it was her favorite time of the year. I can't say I know how it feels to be in your situation but just know that this to will pass. Have all of your family over to help put up the tree, make a dinner and be together.. If you can't afford gifts maybe try to make something special for each of them. Or write them all a letter from your heart, make some cookies and give that to them as a gift. Hope things get better for you and your family.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Remember when grab bag is not spending money-get an old pic, an old toy, and old knicknack, wrap it in news paper-comics, or just plain news paper, and have a remember when grab bag.

You will be amazed at what is remembered.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• There are dollar stores where something for the kitchen or bathroom can be bought for one dollar or two - Odd Lots or Odd Job Lot is one such store. KFree907's ideas are great - give a hint or two on the gift or verbally and make the recipient guess what it is, but throw some wrong hints in.

Take advantage of the compassion that is absolutely around you in your county if not your town, in churches and temples even if you're not a member of those organizations' gift trees and food pantries. Join a church or temple. If you can't get to services then read their sermons and prayers on line in a church or temple that does that. Comment in email or forums within the churches website on the sermons and prayers meaning in your life. That will get you involved and in prayer just not in physical church attendance.

Have old board games? Dust them off and wrap them and play them. Make a weekly date of playing them.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I am sorry. I feel this year has been getting worse and worse for a lot I know, our family included, but I've had tough Christmas' where things went from bad to worse, and all I can say is that things do turn up but it does take time and patience. Christmas' is more than just presents, basically no adult in my family will be getting presents this year and instead we will enjoy each others company over a nice meal and be thankful for what we do have. I've been w/o everything before when we lived through a house fire and everything was destroyed so when you have a meal and can bring people together that to me is a great gift to have. Maybe set out games for you and your family to play after dinner, pull together what small amount of money you have and buy a few inexpensive cars and toys for your grandson and other kids. Make do with what you have and don't loose hope things will get better.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 12:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• A lot of families are suffering this year. Just remember that the holidays are about family and focus on that. Make the day about gathering and enjoy what you can do together. Perhaps little stockings filled with candy and 1 small toy for the grand kids. Play board games, sing songs, go for walks at night to look at the lights and the stars. Make it more about time spent then gifts given. I know it's not easy because most of the focus is always on gifts but try to find happiness in family. ((hugs))
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 1:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2009