How to deal with the new girlfriend?

My Former BIL has a new gf and all I can say is she is "different." I can look pasted the feathers glued to her eyelashes and need to paint the barbie on my niece's doll cake goth (personally I thought that was cool). but what I don't know how to deal with the GF's assumptions that its bad for my niece to be obessed with princess (niece=5) and she, the GF, must save my niece. I want to tell GF that it's my niece choice and to accept her for who she is. If she is still obessed with princess at 15 then we will worry. But I fear that as the former SIL it will be viewed as catty. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have heard of this no princess revolution. I'm a feminist and I love being a princess. A princess does not have to be the damsel in distress or some silly twit who just talks about boys, babies, and shopping. No a princess can save the world, be the President of a country, run a major "green" corporation, dress goth or drive an uncool car. Our inner princess can be pretty in pink and be smart. By the way, why do we think women can't be beautiful AND be intelligent AND cool?  If this were me, I would casually discuss my "girl" philosophy with this cool chica and tell her the things I really admire about her style and outlook.  But I would also add in my own twist and views on toys, girls, marketing, ect....  Then I would add that I am so glad that my niece likes to use her imagination with her toys and plays princess.   Talk politics.  She sounds like she can get into it.  Stay relaxed and be open. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• You have been there alot longer then her. I would talk to her about it, in a nice, firm way.

Discuss it, how does her parents feel??? Tell her that you appreciate her interest, and input in her, but you would rather her at this age, love princess. It is like a typical little gir. I agree with you.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• This person is a "new girlfriend" with feathers glued to her eyes for crying out loud and she is worried about a 5 year old little girl liking princesses? I would gently remind her that most girls at 5 like princesses and the family has no problem with it. Who does this little girl live with? Perhaps approach the parent she lives with if you feel the GF is overstepping boundrys.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• you are right. its more likely to see a 5 yr.old play with princess. then having feathers stuck to her eyelashes. just tell this girl in a nice way that your daughter will play with whatever shes comfortable playing. And thats that. and that so far you have no problem with that. but that when you see her playing with something you dont like her doing you'll let your daughter know; lol. (I had my sister say that to someones little because because she was having a simular situation. And it worked the little girl never said a word again.) instead she played whatever my sisters little wanted to play. when she was over.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2009