Discipline - before age 2

Any suggestions for disciplining a toddler younger than two?! I've got a SPIRITED, STRONG WILLED 15m old. While he's cute and sweet, he also laughs and disobeys when I say "no," redirection has to be dramatic, and he clings to my clothes and whines when I try to cook a meal (which I realize is because he can't express himself and wants attention). He bites furniture and fights me on many things.... which my girlfriends tell me is pretty common for this age, as he's trying to do his own thing. I've read about some great discipline techniques, but they're really for kids 2 and older. SUGGESTIONS?

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 12:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Right there with you. Will be monitoring to see what ideas come out.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 12:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• He's too young to know what "No" really means. He just thinks you are being a bully. Distract him from the behavior you don't want. Keep things up you don't want him getting into. He's a little boy and curious and exploring his world. Give him some pots and pans and a wooden spoon to bag the pots with while you cook. That lets him think he is playing pots and pans with you. You could set him in a high chair and give him some cheerios or apple or something to eat. Talk or sing to him while he is sitting there. He just doesn't want to be ignored. Bites furniture? Give him something to bite on if he is teething. Fights with you? He's a guy. They have testosterone. They do that. Just hug him when he starts fighting. I used to hug and kiss on my son when he did that and it distracted him from the fighting.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I have a grandson the same age. He was born Sept. 11. Of course he is strong willed, our whole family is.

The clinging to you when you try to cook is common. If you can cook when someone else is there to play with him it should go much easier. I have a pot cabinet I let my grandson play in while I cook. I have to be careful not to fall over him and the pots and lids.

We have saved no and stop for important things and he has never said no himself. It has worked really well. He wants to please us and doesn't disobey. He doesn't always cooperate with things like getting his coat on, I see that as minor. He is easy to take to stores or out to eat. We can let him walk around and he doesn't destroy things.

Here is a really good article about how to say no without saying no. It's so good it's posted on many websites. It's about another way of parenting.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• The book that shaped my parenting when I was a young first time mother was Without Spanking or Spoiling by Elizabeth Crary. It came out in 1981. Some people are offended by the title and won't even consider the book. She has written other books including Love & Limits. She has a website called Star Parenting.

Her parenting philosophy has been called problem solving. Without Spanking or Spoiling goes deeper and encourages you to think about what kind of person do you want your child to be and what kind of parent do you want to be.

Both books are about toddler parenting and the practical ideas can be used with a 15 mo.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Tell him that if he keeps doing ____ , then you will put his (insert beloved item here) in the closet for ten minutes.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I have a spirited strong minded 2 year old so I know what you are talking about. I think when he was 15 months, I cried a lot... I found very little that worked until more recently. GL mommy!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2009