how can I help her nap?

My 15 month old get so tired about 11am that all she does is cry and is really miserable. Before, I'd nurse her until she fell asleep and then put her in her crib, but now soon as she hits the crib she starts screaming. If I lay down with her, she only wants to nurse, not sleep and she just yanks at my shirt "boob boob boob" and will stay up and be very grumpy just the same as if I never tried. The only thing that puts her to sleep is putting her in her car seat for a drive, but that only works as long as the car is moving and gas is just so expensive that I can't drive her around for an hour and a half every day. I've had a grumpy baby all week long, tried putting her in a low bed instead of the crib but she just cries and climbs out to cry at me or just wants to nurse nonstop. What do I do?

soflashelley

Asked by soflashelley at 12:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How long does she scream once put in her crib? My daughter went through a short phase where she'd cry for about a minute or two and the be totally silent at nap time (not at bedtime); and this was even with her leading the way up the stairs for sleep time, signing "sleep." So she was tired and on board, but after nursing, she just didn't want to be put down. After a minute or two she'd remember, "oh yes, it is sleep that I want." Have you let her cry for a few minutes at least? I'm not suggesting anything long-term or damaging, but if you haven't tried it, it could be worth seeing if she stops by the time you're at the bottom of the stairs (I was surprised that mine did).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I would suggest to let her fuss it out. Sounds like she got used to the habit of getting full during nursing. maybe give her a more filling food lunch then nurse her and let her cry. if she is climbing out of the crib, you should put her in a big girl bed so she doesn't fall out. maybe reading a book, or a special toy? I am sorry, not too good of advice i have a 2 year old who JUST got put in a bed he can get out of and he would cry himself to sleep for every nap =- he just hated to sleep I think
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• At night she'll cry for 2 or 3 minutes before going to sleep, but during the day she would scream for hours if I left her there. Then she's even more tired and grumpy from all the screaming.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 8:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2009