sex after delivering...

i had my baby oct 17th (8.5 weeks ago) and had my check up 3 weeks ago. the dr checked and i still had a couple stitches down there. she didn't seem too concerned since she didn't need to see me again for 4 months. well i tried to have sex for the first time since delivery last night and it was very sore. we only did it for about 2 minutes and stopped (my poor husband lol). i was wondering if this is normal and how long you waited for your first time after.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You may have had to get one uncomfortable sexual experience out of the way in order to stretch out a little after healing with the stitches. Give yourself 2 days to recover and then try again (don't wait more than 3 days or you may have to go through the whole stretching experience again). Take it slow and use a cooking oil as a lubricant. KY, Astroglide, etc can burn if you have any tiny tears. My OB says plain old cooking oils such as corn oil, canola, vegetable, or olive oils are actually the best lubricants.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• With all 4 of my kids I only waited about 2 weeks. I tore a little with my first and had stiches. Just make sure you have lube. My youngest is 4.5 months and it is still a little dry, but I am still nursing. This can make things a little drier until your milk drys up.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 12:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I waited 12 weeks after my first was born and it still hurt.
    Anonymous

• OP
    yea we used astroglide for lube. i've never heard of using cooking oil. that wouldn't get infected inside of you? i'm going to try again probably tomorrow night. hopefully it all works out.
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I only waited about three weeks. LOL, but it didn't ever hurt for me. This may be a bit forward.. but have you tried to play with yourself? And have you and your DH done any type of foreplay.. that really may help.
    Anonymous

• OP
    we did start off with foreplay it just got sore down there once we started to actually do it. i mean i could probably just deal with the soreness but does it go away or will it still hurt everytime
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• i waited 10 week after my son was born...if it is hurting you might want to wait a few more weeks...also maybe try some extra lubrication, that might make it not hurt so bad...good luck
    Anonymous