I have a slipped disc in my back....what can I do?

I have gone to the chiro who told me that every bone from my knee to the top of my neck is out and I am in excruciating pain. I went to the ER last night for temporary paralysis. Chiro is not helping, tylenol is not helping, warm baths are not helping, resting is not helping....what can I do to make this pain go away? I have an 8 year old daughter who needs tended to and I am 15 weeks pregnant. I really need to find something so I can take care of my child(ren) and myself. I've been miserable for over a week now and am looking desperately for solutions. PLEASE HELP ME!

LMWWilliams25

Asked by LMWWilliams25 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There are some pain meds that can be taken safely during pregnancy, but that will only mask the pain, not fix the problem. Not to mention that most are narcotics that cause dependency/addiction problems for you AND the baby. What does your O.B suggest? Also, be very careful with baths while pregnant as the heat can cause problems for the baby. My last pregnancy was spent in total agony with a large maniscal tear (knee) I was working full time and taking care of my then 4 year old as well. EVERY single answer I got when asking for relief was "Sorry, your pregnant, we won't touch you!" I am so sorry, honey, I know what you are going through and it DOES suck! I was given a prescription pain med called Tramadol. It is a very mild narcotic but it still can cause dependency so if you do try this one be CAREFUL!
    mygirlscome1st

Answer by mygirlscome1st at 1:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• That is depressing. This pain is unbearable! And yet another reason I hate drug addicts. I'm not trying to be mean but because of them I can't get relief from the pain I have and mine is legitimate. That's just awesome. Two slipped discs and pinched nerves and I get to resort to tylenol. Warm baths feel good but like you said, I can't be doing that all the time either just because it's bad for the baby to do that as well. So I guess I'll just live with the pain and suck it up. My boss just isn't too understanding about how much pain I am in and that's what makes it rough too. I'm not sleeping because of the pain and I'm not allowed to call off work. I'm just in a predicament I suppose. Thanks for your help though, I'll mention the tramadols to my OB but I doubt it'll go anywhere. My OB already said that since I'm going to the chiro that I'm in his hands now. Thank you though for your suggestions!
    LMWWilliams25

Answer by LMWWilliams25 at 8:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2009