my 9 month old won't sleep through the night at all what do i do???

mekamiller

Asked by mekamiller at 1:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what do u eman not sleeping thru the nite. if he is sleeping for longer then 5 hrs straight thats sleeping thru the nite. what times does he go to bed and what time does he wkae up?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My daughter didnt sleep through the night until she was 10 months old. But it was kinda my fault . When she would wake up I would give her a bottle . Finally I realized thats why she would wake up . I decided to stop completly . When she would wake up I would just give her a binkie and she would cry for a few minutes . This only lasted for a few days and then she just decided that waking up wasnt going to get her anything so she started sleeping 12 hours a night and still does .
    Anonymous

• You get some patience. It is highly unusual for a baby this young to sleep through the night.

Co-sleeping saved me from losing my mind! It was so easy to doze or sleep while my daughter nursed.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Sleeping through the night may not happen for a long while yet. He'll sleep when his little tummy can hold enough to let him sleep longer.
    Anonymous

• Don't feed her in the night. At 9 mos, she should definitely be able to go at least 8 hrs w/ out eating. We did a modified CIO with my baby. She kept waking up every 3 hrs. One night, I refused to feed her until she went at least 5 hrs (doctor told me this was ok, he actualy gave me the advice). She woke up and my husband and I both took turns patting her back to sleep every 10 mins or so. We never picked her up. The first 2 nights were pretty brutal, but then she went 5 hrs. and soon was going 8-9 hrs at a time. She's 9 mos now and will sleep about 12 hrs in a row!
    Anonymous

• I would disagree that it is 'highly unusual for a 9 mos. old to sleep through the night.' That is just craziness. If you don't train them to sleep through the night, they never will. I know parents who refuse to do any CIO and still feed their kids throughout the night and they have 1.5-3 year olds who still can't sleep through the night. That is torturing everyone and bad parenting, imo.
    Anonymous

• Fasting for 8-12 hours is way too long for a baby. Does no other adult around here wake up to go pee even? The problem is not the baby the problem is forgetting that they can't get a drink or food by themselves. I would find it very unpleasant to be denied food if i had a small stomach for 12 hours if i was hungry! Babies don't need training, what needs to change is what "sleep through" means. 4 hours is a sleep through--thats half a standard 8 hours and is reasonable. 5 or 6 is a bonus.

I often, not always, wake on my own halfway through the night to pee or adjust blankets. If I happen to be thirsty I get a drink. When i was pregnant i sometimes ate a snack. This is normal behavior! Many people who say their babies sleep 12 hours don't realize that they do wake up, but no longer call for assistance. That's a long time to be alone. Sorry, but parenting doesn't end at sundown.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• http://www.askdrsears.com/HTML/7/T070200.ASP

How adults sleep and how babies sleep.     And tips on nighttime parenting.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• "I would disagree that it is 'highly unusual for a 9 mos. old to sleep through the night.' That is just craziness. If you don't train them to sleep through the night, they never will."

Heh heh. NOT TRUE.

Babies sleep when they sleep. What we do as parents makes no nevermind in their sleeping.

My parents "trained" us to sleep.

Didn't make us sleep. I've NEVER slept eight hours straight in my life unless I was sick. We do what we're wired for...and many babies are not wired to sleep more than about five or six hours in a row. They just learn to fool you.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2009