breastfeeding and alcohol

I have about 4 more weeks till delievery and after 9 months of not drinking I admit I can't wait to have a drink! But does alcohol go through the milk? I don't want to hurt my baby but would like a drink now and then. Do you breastfeed if you've been drinking? If so, is there a limit on how much you should have?

hillma

Asked by hillma at 1:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes it does, but the rule is safe to drive safe to nurse. so one maybe two drinks is ok.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My grandma advised me to have one beer in the late afternoon or early evening to keep my milk flowing well so that my baby would have plenty to eat before bed. :-) GRandma was wise. It helped alot. He was a happy, well-fed and healthy boy and slept well all night long by the time he was 4 weeks old.
    ONLY ONE beer! LOL.
    Anonymous

• PP- hate to tell ya, but your g-mas was wrong. although you may relax and let down easier, alcohol actually diminishes your milk supply.

the rule with nursing and alcohol is this- safe to drive, safe to nurse. i would advise against no more than a couple at any given time... and even MORE importantly, is to keep hydrated. drink 2x the water for the amount of alcohol, as alcohol will make you dehydrated.
    no need to pump & dump unless you go on a bender, lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• the beer works for some people. for some it has the opposite eefect and will dry them up. if i have just half a beer i get super engorged.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• obbydobbie thats not true . evryone is different like i said my normla pumping out put is 3-4 oz if i have just ahalf a beer i pump almost 12 oz in just one sitting.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• piwife- not trying to start an argument, i will repeat what i said.... it helps one relax and let down. the long term effect is that alcohol will diminish a milk supply. ESPECIALLY if the mum has not hydrated. i did not state that you would not get more out if you were pumping/nursing. in fact, stated that let down came easier- my reference was to the broader spectrum of how long term usage would affect supply.
    its documented knowledge... really not up to a debate, we're entitled to our own opinions, and to factual knowledge, and everything in between. there's enough debate between FF vs BF, no need for us to argue.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Safe to drive safe to nurse. But be careful! Some people are safe to drive after 1-2 beers, but not me. lol. I think it's because I only weigh 102. I can drink maybe 1/2 a beer and be safe to drive.

I generally have half a beer.. wait like 10 minutes.. pump (my pump output increases too, piwife! But I think she was talking about in the long run alcohol dehydrates you so it can dry you up if you don't drink tons of water with the alcohol).. and then finish the other half.. I may have half another if I'm feeling silly. He's never woken up before 5 hours or so have gone by since he was 7 months so I don't worry.
    I thought I'd want to drink after having my kid, too. But I was so tired for the first 5 months it didn't seem appealing. lol
    Anonymous

• am not arguing am just saying how my body reats, if i drink beer i make alot more milk. and being that i only pump evry drop helps. i ahveonly had 2 beers since ds was born and his almost 10 mts. right now my supply is way down am pumpind 2-3 oz and i used to pump 4-5 oz. am taking fernugreek. milk thisle and eating oatmeal but no changes. the funny thing is is that i been on depo for 9 mts and no period and about 3 wks ago my period began and hasnt stop yet and ever since my supply drop alot. i went from pumoing 36-40 oz a day to pumong maybe 15 oz. so now i hvae to suplement.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Everyone has a different opinion on this and you will just have to decide if it is something you want to do. I personally loved beer before getting pregnant, so it was a long 9 months for me. I now have a 3 month old and am breastfeeding. I've had a few beers in the last couple months, but I always make sure to drink it right after I feed her, so I have atleast 2 hours before I have to feed her again. I also only drink no more than 1 beer. I have my work Christmas party this weekend and I'm planning on having a few beers (lower alcohol content than liquor). I will pump before I go and leave that for the babysitter to feed my daughter, then when I get home I will probably pump it and through that milk out. Then I won't feed her again till the morning.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 4:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Personally, safe to drive safe to nurse is my thoughts on it. I have occasionally had a drink or two while mine were under 6 months old and as they got older and went longer stretches without nursing I will increase how much I drink at a time right after I feed the children. Alcohol does pass into the milk, but it also leaves just as quickly as it does from the blood stream.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2009