Gestational Diabities -

So I got the great news yesterday at 36 weeks that I have GD. I failed 2 of 4 of the blood draws. So I have to take a class next week and get a easy one touch monitor and check my blood levels 4 times a day FUN RIGHT? I didnt fail with my son 3.5 years ago...I eat decently healthy...How do you get it? I read alot about being over 30, overweight, orr gaining alot increases your chances. But im 24, 125 originally 149 now at 36 weeks and clueless. UGHHH and I hate needles..

More importantly I read the risks of having GD. STILL BIRTH???? organs not formed properly, a huge baby, and her or me having diabities after. I am freaking out because im 4 weeks from delivery if not less...What if shes huge or not ok?

NIKKIANDYBABY

Asked by NIKKIANDYBABY at 2:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i'm sure she'll be fine. i had GD when i was preg. had to take insulin. it happens. They did have to induce my labor because 3wks before my due date he was already 9lbs. he was born 9lbs 6oz, 21 1/2" long. Big baby, he's tall and skinny now, lol, he's 2yo. every week i had to have an ultrasound and stress test. i liked those because i got to see the baby every week and the stress test is just you on a recliner and they put sticky tabs on your belly to monitor the baby's heart rate and you have to press a button everytime the baby moves, but i almost always fell asleep, lol. btw, i've known a few people that have had GD and their babies are fine.
    Anonymous

• I had it with my third child, but I didn't have it with my fourth.

I believe it actually means you are at risk of diebetes, just diet and you will be alright. So, will your baby.

Just have faith.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I have type one diabetes and have had it since I was 11 and am now 24. My first daughter was born at 36 weeks and weighed 8 lbs 5 oz and my 2nd daughter weighed 6 lb 9 oz and was delivered at 36 weeks as well. The only reason why woman with diabetes have larger babies is if there blood sugars are not under control and run on the higher side most of the time. Its the excess sugar that your body is producing that is recieved by your baby that makes them a large baby. Both of my daughters were and still are very healthy and show no signs of diabetes and hope that they never will. Try not to worry and stress about it because stress will raise your blood sugars. Just check you blood sugars often, eat healthy and limit carbs and stay active. Good luck!
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 2:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• and what about the bigness? I have only gained 25lbs this entire pregnancy they recommended 25-35...and they never told me anything of her measuring big..Plus my son was 7lb 10 oz at 42 weeks.
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 2:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• i gained 25 during my preg w/GD, my son was big, but i lost the baby weight just fine. like i said before, my boy was over 9lb at birth and i was induced almost 2wks early to avoid him getting any bigger.
    Anonymous

• A great article posted as a journal

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read.php?post_id=997295

reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 2:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• im mainly scared of her weight and stillbirth
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 3:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I didn't have GD with my 1st, but I did with my last 3 (I was 25, 27, and 35 - and prepreg weight of 115-125). Yes, it's a pain. :) With my 3rd child, I was induced at 38 weeks due to concerns over her size (7 lbs, 7 oz), and with my 4th I had a csection at 39 weeks due to concerns over his size (8 lbs, 1 oz).
    Hopefully, you will be able to control your GD with diet, make sure you exercise - that really helps with blood sugar levels. And you only have a few weeks to go! Don't worry about the stillbirth - as long as you are following the diet they give you and getting some moderate exercise, it shouldn't affect your baby that much. With mine, they gave me a special test every week in late pregnancy to test for movement and heart rate (I sat in a chair and pushed a button everytime I felt him/her move, they were testing his heart rate to make sure there was an appropriate response) to make sure he/she was healthy.

Answer by missanc at 3:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• If you are healthy and maintain a healthy diet (look up Brewer's Diet) then you don't need to fear the weight of your baby.. your body won't grow a baby that it can't birth unless you are truly diabetic (I personally think the test is wrong more often than not) and your diet is out of control. The rate of stillbirth increases if you smoke or live an unhealthy lifestyle. Unfortunately, there is always the risk of stillbirth, even in "uncomplicated" pregnancies, and we can't predict it. Here is another article for you to read that has numbers and stats for you. http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/gd/gd_riskfactors.htm

reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 4:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2009