What do you get a person in their late teens who's b/day is 12-24 and then Christmas 12-25 without looking cheap.

I mean you buy a gift but then say Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas...(bc money is tight) Is that being cheap :/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Holidays

• Treat it like it any other birthday, The child deserves a birthday gift just like you would for anyone else anyother time of year. And a gift for christmas too just like you would do for anyone else. Do you combine a birthday and christmas gift for everyone else no matter when their birthday is? What would you expect for the other children in your life. Don't be cheap when it comes to kids. Plan ahead.
    Anonymous

• Boy or Girl?
    We have a cousin who is 13 this Christmas eve. We are got her this peace necklace a long time ago , She is in to the whole peace hippy thing LOL
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Yes, that is being cheap. My DH's birthday is 12/27 and he always hated that. He always hated his birthday gifts in Christmas paper too. Money may be tight but 2 inexpensive gifts instead of one!
    Anonymous

• I have to get 2 gifts for my December niece. I try to get her the same size gift I would if her birthday was another time of year.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• We're Jewish and my son's bday always falls during Chanukah. This year his bday was actually also the 1st day of Chanukah (though we lit the 1st candles at sunset on the 11th). We always keep the 2 separate, it's never been an issue. Chanukah gifts are inexpensive, kept in cost to the night given and bday gifts are in the $15-$20 price range (except for 18th bdays and then we gave all our sons a $100 shopping trip for clothes/shoes). I think that the bday should always trump the holiday. If you can't buy a Christmas gift but can buy a bday gift then that's fine but never skip out on the bday gift to give a Christmas gift.
    Anonymous

• My birthday is 12-22 so I understand this. If my birthday were in July would you say "Happy Birthday/Merry Christmas"? No. I am expected to buy my aunts and uncles a present for their birthday and a seperate for their Christmas present. I would feel very under appreciated if I got a here you go. Its not the gift thats the problem its the lack of thought and love put into it. If nothing else buy two seperate cards and for each. Everyone understands money being tight but if you must add a chapstick of something to the birthday card and give the Christmas gift as a Christmas gift.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

My birthday is 12-22 so I understand this. If my birthday were in July would you say "Happy Birthday/Merry Christmas"? No. I am expected to buy my aunts and uncles a present for their birthday and a seperate for their Christmas present. I would feel very under appreciated if I got a here you go. Its not the gift thats the problem its the lack of thought and love put into it. If nothing else buy two seperate cards and for each. Everyone understands money being tight but if you must add a chapstick of something to the birthday card and give the Christmas gift as a Christmas gift.

This! Mine's the 11th...that is two whole freaking weeks before Christmas, and I got/get that all the time, too. And you are right -- you can't go to anyone you know in July and say "well money is tight, so this is an early Christmas present, too." They would be highly miffed. Yet it's perfectly okay to do it to us. Bleh.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 4:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I think they deserve a birthday gift just like anyone else. However, if you just can't seem to budget for the birthday gift this time of year consider buying her a "birthday and 1/2" present on June 24th.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 4:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2009