Sexting?

My sister and law and I were talking about sexting and how common it is getting among teenagers. Both my 16 year old and 14 year olds have phones, and she told me that she is totally fine with her daughters texting (17 twins and 15). Well my kids phones we charging and they weren't home, my sister and I went through their text messages. I was absolutely horrified to find that both of them have been repeatedly sexting. My step-daughter (14) has been sending pictures of herself naked and in totally inappropriate outfits to several boys, and my step-son has been asking his girlfriend and her best friend for naked pictures, which he received. When we found this my sister said to relax and then its all part of being a teenager and discovering yourself. What do you think?

jennv9595

Asked by jennv9595 at 2:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would stop it to be honest. Mainly because for the girls you don't know what those boys will do with those pictures!
    Anonymous

• Agree with Anon....once pics are out you cant get them back...but if you let them know you went through the phone that could be the end of it...if i were you i would probably just put a block on their phones from sending MMS messages!!! But thats just me....You have several options on how you want to go about that...but I would bring it to your daughters attention that she is runnin a risk of ending up all over the internet!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Ummm, take their phones.  A couple of years ago when my oldest was in junior high there was some pictures sent around of the cheerleaders fresh out of the shower.  Each kid with a phone that had the pictures were suspended from school.  The cheerleaders and a few of the guys were on the Dr. Phil show.  It is a serious issue and they know that there are serious consequences.  When our oldest two were given cell phones we told them that at any time we can take their phones and check them.  Randomly I will say phone check and they have to immediately hand it over.  I have never had issues with them.  I read every in going and out going message.  If it is questionable then I will call the phone and have a talk with a parent.  They know that having cell phones is a priviledge and not a right. 

dawnjohnson5

Answer by dawnjohnson5 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I think it is completely inappropriate and very dangerous when parents think it is normal or part of growing up. Does the word cyber slut rings a bell to her? Boys can ask all day long but ultimately it is up to the girls to take the pics and send them.

I would definably not be okay with my child engaging in that behavior no matter how common it is among his/her peers. I have raised children who will not be followers, who know their self worth and who no matter what others do know between right and wrong. it is my hope that you can address this issue and make it stop because no matter what they say it will come and hunt them at some point or another in their lives.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• They can be charged with distributing pornography if they are caught.
    Anonymous

• Some asshole online asked my almost 14 year old daughter to send him pictures. My daughter told him no way and he pestered her about it and she threatened to turn him in for soliciting child pornography. She hasn't heard from him since.

Before I started letting her get on the internet unsupervised I talked to her about dangers and things she might run into and how she could handle them.

My daughter doesn't have her own cell phone. My husband and I both have our own and she borrow's mine when she needs it and for texting. I know she wouldn't get involved with sexting. I'll have to keep an eye on things as she get's older. Almost everytime that I see a news story online regarding pitfalls that teenagers fall into, I share the story with my daughter and we talk about what mistake was made and how to avoid making them ourselves. The big one on sexting was the girl who commited suicide after naked pictures of her

Anonymous

• ran out of room.....................
    The big story on texting was the girl who commited suicide after naked pictures of her ended up everywhere.

I don't know what you should do but it might not be to late to talk to them about it. GL
    Anonymous

• i maybe would try and put a stop to it, but i would not go to the police. they cant help that they are curious and i dont think these boys deserve to be sex offenders. just try talking to them.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Child Porn is a Class C Felony. They could be arrested and jailed. My niece got caught with this last year and was suspended, but after the school called the police and scared her into realizing how serious it is. Thank God, but they didn't charge, but if she gets caught with it again she will. I took her phone, and gave her one that had no camera on it.

dawn...I don't mean to make you nervous, but if they know you do random checks, they may delete anything bad right after doing it. Something to think about.
    mommyaunt412

Answer by mommyaunt412 at 4:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• cut off the effin phones immediately. period and ground their azzes.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2009