can someone explain to me what this means please

I went to the doctor and she checked my cervix. She said it was very soft and thin which is a good sign. She said I was dilated to a 2. Then she tried to strip my membranes... She said she was "trying" because her fingers weren't that long. But I had cramping after and now just a dull-ish pain down there. Does that mean she got some stripped? What exactly is stripping the membranes anyway?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• How far along are you?
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• EDD was the 10th
    Anonymous

• Ah. You should be out WALKING your tushie off if you got your membranes stripped! Go gogogogogo!
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• What is Sweeping the Membranes?
    When your provider strips your membranes, this is done via a vaginal exam, typically very close to your due date. During the exam your provider will separate your amniotic sac from the cervix using his fingers.

You will typically feel some discomfort and it may feel like a longer and more painful vaginal exam than normal. It is not unusual to have some spotting for severals days after you have had your membranes stripped.

Read more at Suite101: Stripping Membranes: Does Sweeping the Membranes Start Labor? | Suite101.com http://birthing-options.suite101.com/article.cfm/stripping_membanes#ixzz0Zn2yLVRa
    (taken from this website)

Answer by admckenzie at 3:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Moms can often cramp after a VE whether they were stripped or not. But since she was trying, she probably got a little work done.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Even a rough exam can stimulate your cervix. My doc wasn't able to strip mine either, so he did a "rough exam," which I think contributed to my labor not much later.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2009