Do you think I have a right?

Ok so my sons dad just moved in with his NEW girfriend(My son meet her saturday for the first time and was left with her while he went to work!I wasn't very happy about that either!) and refusses to give me the address of where he lives!My son go's with him every friday till sunday! I think I have a right to know the address where my son will be at! He says it is none of my buisness and that I need to grow up! I don't think its to much to ask for!He knows and has been to my house plenty of times! Do you think I am just over reacting or do you think I have a right to know where my son will be staying when with his dad?

MarineAngel831

Asked by MarineAngel831 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• YES you have the right and he has the obligation to give it to you. Do you have any kind of custody/visitation agreement in place? It should be clearly spelled out in it. If not, I'd march over to a good lawyer's office and file for one ASAP! You need to protect your son and yourself!

Be warned-if you do file for an agreement, expect him to none too happy! But he can say all he wants-ignore him and protect your son!
    Anonymous

• I think you have a right. What if he needed you.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• You are DEFINITELY not overreacting! Of course you have a right to know where your son is staying!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• In Indiana you have the right to know his address and you have the right to first refusal. What this means is when the other parent goes to work if the distance is reasonable the other parent can care for the child. No money can be involved. So when he goes to work you should have the right to care for your child but you can't be paid or it doesn't affect child support. That's if you all live near each other. That's what the law was a few years ago, I don't know if it's changed.

Check with a lawyer or the child support division of your county. It shouldn't be too hard to find where he lives. If he has a phone you should be able to find where he lives on the white pages website.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I'd ask a lawyer.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• you have every right to know where he lives. i would think you should also have a say in who watches ur son while his dad is at work. not sure on the legal rights though i would talk to a lawyer
    mommy2xp

Answer by mommy2xp at 3:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• You have a right to know where he lives, certainly. However, unless the GF has a felonious record, or is a proven substance abuser, you can't really insist that he leave the child with only those you approve of. As a PP mentioned, you can ask for ROFR, but you need to be careful about it. The courts tend to look at it as he is the father and unless you can prove why he is not fit to make such a decision, he can competantly decide to designate a responsible party to look after his child on his time. If there is ROFR, that is all out the window.

And you have to be able to prove that dad is not capable of making said decision, and the GF is not fit for legit reasons, not just because you don't like her.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 3:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• It's not that I have a problem with who watches my son while he works!The point on that is that he meet her the morning he left him with her while he went to work! And the BIG issue is he refusses to give me the address of where my son will be staying while under his care! I don't know the girl to not like her!I know NOTHING about her! I didn't like the fact that he just introduced them one morning and then that afternoon left my son with the GF! She knows NOTHING about my son!My son knows NOTHING about the GF either! I just want an address of where my son will be staying while in his dads care!
    MarineAngel831

Answer by MarineAngel831 at 4:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Is the weekend visitation by court order? Time to head back. Certainly this is an issue for an attorney. YES, you have a right to know where your son is at ALL times. Indeed, consider it a legal obligation.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Are you crazy though? All these other momma's are on your side but I wonder if he doesn't give you the adress cuase he knows you'll go stalkerish on him?

Maybe you aren't so lilly white in all this.
    Anonymous