help my dogs almost killed eachother

I have 4 dogs. 2 of the femals fought this morning and nothing I did would stop them. The shepard was trying to kill my baby sharp ei. Every time I would seperate them the shepard would lunge after her again. Then the other 2 got involved cause they were trying to protect me. Meanwhile my 3 yr old dd was watching this all and crying hystaricaly. I got bite up all over and my sharpei has cuts and gashes all over. The other dog can't walk . I put her in a diff. room to let them cool off. So when my dh came home he went to get her out. The other dog walked past her and she looked ready to attack. I don't know what to do. If I get rid of the shepard my kids will be devestated and she is 10 we have had her for 6 years. The other dog is my baby. I got her during a really bad time in my life. She was abused and I healed her both meantaly and physicaly. Also sharpei's do not ajust to new families at all. Any one know whAT TOP DO?

mommix4

Asked by mommix4 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Pets

• Can you afford to take them to classes?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• THEY ARE BOTH VERY WELL BEHAVED never have any problems before this. They first got into a fight about a year ago and have only done this 3 times since but nothing this bad. I can usually pull up on the sharpei's loose skin and then it is done.
    mommix4

Answer by mommix4 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• A long time ago, I had an American Bulldog and a Lab mix. The American Bulldog used to be a fighting dog. The first couple of years, everything was fine. Then all of a sudden, the Lab mix started attacking the American Bulldog. Amazingly, most of the time he'd just get away from her, but eventually I guess he just had enough and started fighting back. Keep in mind, this dog was HUGE, and used to fighting. It was horrible, I couldn't get them to stop. He'd get her down, and stop, but every time she would try getting up and attacking him again, he'd throw her down again. Blood everywhere, I got bit on both hands (by the Lab) trying to separate them... It was awful, just awful. After that, we decided to find a new home for the Lab, because they just couldn't be in the same room anymore. Things would be fine for a day or two, and then start up all over again. I couldn't deal with it anymore.... cont.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• So we found the lab a new home where she was the only dog (the new owner knew exactly what had happened). I hated giving her up, but the other dog stood NO chance of getting adopted because of his history, and besides, he wasn't the aggressor. After that, both dogs were happy, so I think we did the right thing. Never did figure out why all of a sudden she turned on him though...

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• You need to get rid of all of them except maybe the 'victim'. You have a 3 year old in the house and you can not have dogs that will attack. If they bit you they could bite your 3 year old. You do not have a choice. You probably should have them euthanized.

I am a dog lover and a foster for a rescue. I always put kids before dogs.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Euthanize? No if anything get them a home where they are the only. I think murdering them is a little harsh.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• dog**
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Was one of them in heat?
    Honestly, if you are getting bitten and your child is watching this, you need to get rid of the more aggressive dog.
    What if she was sitting on the floor close to them when this happened? She would've gotten hurt and your dogs would be euthanized.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 3:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Call Cesar Milan.
    Anonymous

• Oh gosh honey...I sure do feel for you. I actually have the same problem right now with two male dogs. The one, the smaller of the two, is constantly trying to fight the bigger guy. The bigger guy won't fight unless he has to, but it's just getting so bad that they cannot even be in the same room. I'm trying like heck to get the aggressor into training, but no one will return my calls. Meanwhile, I believe my husband has given up on the mean guy, all 7 pounds of him. I know it sounds insane that a 7 pound dog could cause such a fuss, but it is so true. I think that I may have to rehome the meanie because I'm not sure, but if all human family members are not on board with training, I'm not so sure it would work.
    Anonymous