(Q for moms of 2 or more who gave birth naturally) - how many hours were you in labor with your first, and how many hours with your second? Third, and so on?

Did the labors get shorter as you had each child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• mine got longer each time... my sisters got shorter... every one is different.
    #1 36 hours
    #2 42 hours
    #3 almost 8 days

all 3 were non medicated, intervention free births (except for the 1st, when my OB cut me without consent or meds because she thought it would be easier- still have MASSIVE scar tissue from s 3rd degree cut). #3 was a waterbirth @ a freestanding birth center.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• yep. with my son i was in labor for 6 hours. with my daughter 3 1/2. the nurses at the time told me if i had waited any longer i wouldnt have had time for an epidural. it also makes me wonder if my next kid will be even shorter labor! haha
    juandmad09

Answer by juandmad09 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I was induced with my first three for varying reasons. Once I received pitocin, I was in labor for about 6-8 hours only. My 4th (born 2 weeks ago) I started laboring around 11 p.m. at night - though at that stage I didn't realize it and was just VERY uncomfortable. By 5 a.m. I was pretty sure it was labor and I hadn't slept much. I was admitted to the hospital at 7 a.m. and was at 9 1/2 cm. He was born at 8:46 a.m. So, while I was in labor all night, only 4 hours (maybe) of hard labor.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My first I was in labor for 8 hours pushed only 29mins. With my second I was induced and was only in labor for 4 hours pushed only 14mins.
    Anonymous

• My first I was in labor for 13 hours, my 2nd I was in labor for 7 1/2 hours, with my 3rd I was in labor for 5 hours.

Answer by missanc at 3:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I was in labor with my daughter for around 16 or 17 hours and about 8 or 9 hours with my son.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 4:29 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• #1- 8hrs
    #2- 3 hours
    #3- 5 hours
    #4- 4 hours
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Well that depends on what you consider labor. With my first my water broke and contractions started about 5 hours later, transition was about 3 hours after that and lasted about 2 hours and then I pushed for 30 minutes. I consider from transition to end labor so I say about 2.5 hours. Second I had back labor and she was came out facing up not down. Contractions started and lasted about 3 hours, transition was about 1 hour and I pushed for 45 minutes. Both born with no interventions or meds.
    Anonymous

• I was in labor for 6 hrs with my first I was 5 cm when I got to the hospital I was in labor 5 1/2 with my second labor was induced I was 4 cm when I got to the hospital for him
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 9:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• 1st...12 hours
    2nd...4 hrs
    auntietotty

Answer by auntietotty at 9:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2009