Drugs really do mess up your brain!

So now that I"m older I definitely notice that all of my high school/college friends who smoked a lot of pot when younger or had addiction problems w/meth, definitely have long-term damage. It's like they have a few screws loose, if you know what I mean. I never believed it, but now that I"ve seen it with my own eyes, it really must be true that drugs kill brain cells or at least, alter brain chemistry when done too early (before our brains stop developing at 25). Scary! Do you agree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I totally agree!
    Anonymous

• Yea they really do. When you drink it kills brain cells. I heard that if you stand up to quick that you kill a couple of brain cells that way to. I guess killing brain cells is like cancer. Everything causes it. Lol.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• While I agree that excessive drug use is never a good thing (and even though I've experimented, I've never done anything more than once or twice), I don't think you can compare pot and meth....
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Uhm, yea. Just like alcohol, its the same thing. Not to mention the possiblity that you're not going to make it past 25, you may OD on the drugs or get in an accident and die.
    Anonymous

• ehh, I smoked pot for years until a few years ago and now I'm in college for nursing. I don't feel its affected me all that much. I'm just a pothead at heart...lol.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• i did meth for about six months when i was 15. i was a straight A student before that with great memory. i'm 21 now and i can definitely say that lots of my long term memory is gone. i'm still a good student. however, retaining information is a lot harder and takes much more studying. 6 years is still not long enough for me to know the full effects and damages i inflicted upon myself during those six months.
    Anonymous

• Marijuana is psychoactive because it stimulates certain brain receptors, but it does not produce toxins that kill them [7] (like alcohol), and it does not wear them out as other drugs may [57]. There is no evidence that marijuana use is a cause of brain damage.

Marijuana does impair short-term memory, but only during intoxication
    Anonymous

• Well, I smoked A LOT of pot back in college when I was about 20-23. I dont think it messed me up too badly, but I do think that because I was a bit older, it didn't do as much damage as it could have if I were 15 or so and still very young w/ a developing brain. Two of my friends were meth addicts beginning in h.s. and they are definitely loopy now. It's like someone went in and turned a light off. They are really THAT clueless and just not with it.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I do. My friends didn't take drugs in the 1950's but I do know people who were in high school years later who took drugs and they have problems for sure. I think you have to drink excessively every day to do the damage that drugs do in just a short time.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• i started smoking pot when i was 13, and then from the ages of 13 - 18 i did alot of ecstasy, shrooms, acid, angel dust, crack, coke, alcohol ... quit when i was 18 but i still drink and i still smoke pot once in a blue and im now 22, with a 6 month old son, just finishing my associates degree and starteing on my bachelors next semester. im perfectly fine, healthy & smart. the only thing i think it did really to me, is that, i think sometimes im more depressed because i know how good it feels to do drugs, at least while your high. i also am alot more anxious and sometimes i get panic attacks. but i dont think i have brain damage. i think im smarter actually.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2009