will i ever give birth without pitocin?

my first and only child was born after several days of unaware labor and constant pain..... 17 hours later with pitocin he arrived..... why didnt i feel contractions? why did it take so long and will i give birth with normal symptoms next time? cuz i didnt know i was in labor until i decided to go to the hospital with spotting

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes! I just had my 4th child two weeks ago. He was my first one without pitocin!!! My first broke my water and labor didn't start, so I was induced. Later I learned that I could have waited for labor to start. But I went straight to the hospital, and they induce immediately if your water breaks and there is no labor.

With my second I was uncomfortable and having regular contraction/braxton hicks. They were really close together, lasting a long time, but didn't hurt. Just uncomfortable. My mom encouraged me to go to the hospital in case I was in labor. It was close to my due date and my doctor was concerned about the baby's size so she pushed for inducing me. So I did.

With my third I asked to be induced. My boys were both sick (ages 2 and 1) and I was up all night with them, plus uncomfortably pregnant. I really didn't think I could last another day.

Well two weeks ago, I was DETERMINED to wait it out!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Well, I think you can pretty much rest assured that in general, ALL babies will be born when they're good and ready... And if you can avoid pitocin, by all means, do so. It makes labor a lot more painful. Every pregnancy/delivery is different, so by no means will this next delivery be like your first.... Good luck!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• . . . continued: About 11 p.m. I laid on the couch. I was cramping (had been for several weeks now, off and on) and uncomfortable and knew I wouldn't be able to sleep in the bed. I dozed for a couple of hours and started waking up with each contraction (only I thought they were probably braxton hicks). My 5 a.m. they were hurting and I thought maybe I was in labor. At 6 a.m. I woke my husband and told him I thought I should go to the hospital and get checked. We kind of took our time (had to get the other three kids up - 3, 2, and 1 year old). I was dropped off at the hospital at 7 a.m. while he waited for my parents to meet him and get the kids. I thought the nurse should check me - I was dilated to 9 1/2 cm!!!!!! My little guy was born at 8:46 a.m. with no pitocin and no epidural!!

Sorry so long. I understand your frustration. It took my 4 tries, but I finally did it!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Hire a doula. She is trained to know all about labor and to be able to avoid interventions if that is what you want.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• There were reasons why you weren't laboring according to your doctor's plans or time-table. Maybe your body was trying to coax baby into a better position, get baby lower on to the cervix, maybe you were dehydrated, or a number of things. Something was going on there, might not have been ready to be forced to deliver just then. (But your body was working on it.) With some help from a supportive labor team, you might have been able to have a more comfortable time and/or faster labor.

Since very few women truly *need* Pitocin, yet about half of first-time moms do, it's not unheard of, obviously.
    What you can do is learn about when it's a good/bad idea to choose it (always YOUR decision) so that you can make informed decisions. You're not likely to need it, but you might choose to have Pit for one reason or another
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• who knows i ahd toget pitocin with both my kids
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• 17 hours on pitocin? My guess is that you werent really in labor when you went in! If you were and just didnt feel it (lucky you!) then there would have been no need for pitocin. All pitocin does is speed up contractions until they can get you into a regular contraction pattern.

I was induced twice but did not receive pitocin either time. The first time the doc just decided to break my water and see if I would progress without pit. 2 1/2 hours later, my son was born! The same doc did my 2nd induction but we pretty much knew it would work because I was already 5cm, 80% & +2 station at that point. 4 1/2 hours later my DD was born. This time I will have an induction at 39 weeks but its a different office (I have Kaiser now) so I told my OB I only wanted an induction if he could break my water & do it with no pit. He said that he would give it a try
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:20 PM on Dec. 15, 2009