Shepherds Pie

When I make shepherds pie it always falls apart when I am dipping it up. Is there any thing I can put in it to hold it together???

JrSmOm2005

Asked by JrSmOm2005 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Don't know of anything to put in it but try using a spatula when serving it so it won't break apart as much.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 4:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Mine doesn't hold together either. Unless you fine it repulsive, don't worry about it.
    SHEPARDS PIE

2 tsp vegetable oil
    1 1/2 lb ground beef
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, grated
    1 bag (16 oz) frozen mixed veggies (thawed)
    1 can (10 1/2 oz) condensed beef broth
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp ground thyme
    2-4 tsp worcestershire sauce (to taste)
    6 servings mashed potatoes (I use instant-sometimes I use the roasted garlic ones-make according to package directions and cool for 15 minutes)
    1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese, divided

In a large skillet, heat oil. Brown beef, onion & garlic, Drain off fat. Add veggies, broth, 1/2 c. water, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Spread into 11x7 glass baking dish.
    Mix mashed potatoes with 1 c. shredded cheese. Spread over beef mixture. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese.
    Anonymous

• The biggest key to you Shepards pie not falling apart is letting it sit at least 15 mins after coming outof the oven.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• What are you dipping it into?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• It's not shepherds pie without the HP sauce! Yeah All I can think of is letting it set up for a good 15-20 min. before serving. It will 'fall apart' to some degree. Unless it's out of the fridge as left overs it is never cut into perfect slices. More of a squarish scoop.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• It's not supposed to stay together - if it doesn't ooze all over the plate when you serve it up it's not done right! I'd be alarmed if I was served a perfect, not oozy, peice of shepherds pie.
    Anonymous

• Yay!! Someone else knows the joys of HP! It's a must for it. (And it's only shepherd's pie if you use lamb. Otherwise it's cottage pie.)

Either let it sit for a few more minutes or make the gravy thicker...but it's not supposed to really be cut like lasagna or anything. It's basically just a stew with mash on top.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2009