how long should you breastfeed?

I'm definetly a advocate for breastfeeding but one of my friends still breastfeed her nearly 3 yr old little girl. She will scream and cry for bobbies and it almost seems like the mom just gives in to make her be quiet. I understand its a personal decision but at what point do you think its just too long?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Each child is different. As moms, we are just trying to do our best.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• At least 2 years. For all the oral and speech benefits at least 3 years. Most children will self wean between 3-4 years. Children are getting 'old' to nurse at 5-7 years. The max age of weaning in humans is probably 7 years.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• i just let my boys wean themselves when they were ready.....the longest any of them BF was 15months though. I am preg with baby #4 and would really like to BF until he is 2yrs old, but that is up to them. I think i would cut them off at 2yrs. That is just my personal preference.
    Anonymous

• When the CHILD no longer wants it. No calendar date on that.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:14 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• However long you and your child decide.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I think of my 2 year old niece and think how weird it would look for her to be breastfeeding off my sister. She is developmentally at a older age, so it just seems odd to me. I guess it is up to each individual person. I'm personally breastfeeding a 3 month old right now and can't wait to be done with it. I'm going to let her go until atleast a year and then see from there. I'm hoping she is on to more solid foods and milk by then.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Like you said its a personal choice and for me when they are old enough to walk up and ask for it.
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• For as long as mom and child both want to. DS is 2 1/2 and still nurses. It seems that your friend might want to teach some nursing manners though.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• personal choice
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Whenever both mom and child feel it is time to quit. But at 3 years old the child should have nursing manners in my book and screaming and crying for it is not being polite. My 29 month old knows she asks in a normal tone of voice and says please and if I say no then she has to deal with it (sometimes better then others), but just like anything else I DO NOT give into her if she throws a tantrum.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2009