How can we handle this?

There's a girl in church (I would say 10 - 12 years old) who insists on bugging my 6yo. I think she sees him as a cute little baby and talks to him as such. He is a cute little dude, but is quite bright and basically you can talk to him like he's an adult, so he HATES when she does this. She'll also bug him for a hug and came over and just started tickling him out of the blue. As soon as she leaves my 6yo rolls his eyes and says, "I HATE when she does that." I'd hate it to if I were him so I completely understand. I've told him to ask her to stop but he hasn't yet, so I guess I'm going to have to step in.

How can I politely ask her to stop this behavior?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• "I know you're just having fun, but Bobby really doesn't like it when you do that, so I'm going to ask you to please stop."

And then if she doesn't...kick it up a notch and talk to her mom.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Well if he is such a big boy, then you need to let him be a big boy. He needs to be the one to tell her.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I also think you should tell her that he doesn't like it. maybe explain to her that he wants people to talk to him like he's a big boy, and that he's uncomfortable with people hugging and tickling him.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 5:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• have him say something to the girl. about this and if that doesn't then you say something to her. but make sure your son saids something first. even if its just "stop". Then you can say something like Im soory hon but I think you should stop , as you can see he dosen't like that.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:14 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• She's old enough to listen when you or your son tells her to back off. If your son isn't saying anything, you should. It'd be nice if he could say something, but she may not listen to him anyway. Then, you tell her. "Hey, he said to stop it. Knock it off."
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2009