At what point of their child's life do you think a SAHM should return to work?

I don't think of moms with kids that can take care of themselves as SAHM. I think of them as unemployed.

I am a SAHM with a 17yo, a 14yo and a 9yo. Do you think it's time for me to return to work? Or should I wait until my little one is older?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• The time is when THAT MOM and THAT FAMILY is ready for such a move. That's not judged by the calendar but by individual family dynamics.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• i want to go back to work when both of my children are in "big school" so another 5 years of staying home for me lol
    Anonymous

• Whenever the hell you feel like it.
    Anonymous

• I agree with others, the time you should go back to work is when its right for you and your family. That may be tomorrow, 5 years from now or never. Assuming you are all doing ok financially, its really a decision that is best for your family.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I would say it's really no one's business when a mother returns to the workforce. If the family gets along fine on the husband's income then all she is doing is taking a job another person who actually needs the money could be doing. As for your situation, who would watch your youngest? Are the other two capable? Would you need daycare? Do you want or need to return to work? It's your decision.
    Anonymous

• I always figured that I would return to work when my baby started school. It wont ever be a career job, just a job to pass the time. My husband is being deployed next month, so im going to get my old job back and work or 3 days a week to keep my mind busy.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 4:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• It would seem like a mom could go back to work when her kids were teens but it turns out they may need you even more than younger kids. They need you watching out for them so they don't get involved with drugs, sex, and gangs. Important stuff.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• If there is a financial need, then yes... it may be time. Otherwise, if you are happy and feel content and fulfilled being a SAHM - then NEVER.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 4:14 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I was a SAHM with my older boys and a WM with my younger ones. I still work. Actually, I think being at home when they are older is better for them. My older boys do not remember when I was a SAHM except for when I made them take a nap or do things they disliked. Weird, yes. I have an 18, 11, 7, 6, and 4 yr old and the 7 and under crew just go with the flow. The other older 2 wish I stayed home so I could cook and keep their room clean... yeah.... users!!! LOL
    I think it is all who you are and how things work for your family!
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Unless my family needs my income to survive I am never returning to the work force. My choice. Live with it.
    Anonymous