I had a c-section 5 weeks ago, still have mild bleeding (brownish now) with a sour smelling, creamy discharge.. is this normal?

I had a c-section, planned, November 12th, my bleeding has slowed down, but now it's a brownish, sour smell. My baby had C.Diff. I had no signs of it at the time. He had blood in his stool. Could I have c. diff 5 weeks later? I had mild blood in my stool.. once. but now when i have a bowel movement it feels like a tearing sharp cutting pain (i know gross). today i had a sharp pain, and used the bathroom and had a small bright red blood clot. Do you think something could be wrong? I would go to the Dr. but my insurance is over, and I want to be sure i need to go before having to pay boo coos of money.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't know for sure but it sounds like it might be infected. Call the doctor!
    Anonymous

• The bleeding is normal as is the constipation and the bloody stool- at least it was for me when I had a c-section. The smell doesn't seem normal to me. If you can, I would call the doctor and talk to the triage nurse, who will be able to answer this question much better than the rest of us.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 5:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• The bleeding sounds normal, and it turns brown as the blood is older. Kind of like at the end of a long period, sometimes, the blood can be kind of brown. The smell is what is concerning. It's possible you have c. diff, but you should probably spring for a stool test to make sure and get treated if that is the case. If you changed his diaper and didn't wash your hands well before eating something, you could have easily gotten c. diff. It's pretty easy to transmit, which is why it is easily spread through hospitals. The blood in the stool and the sour smell from your vagina are probably unrelated, and you might have an infection there as well. It's worth a doctor's visit now, and not have to pay for a hospital stay later. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:32 AM on Dec. 16, 2009