How do I handle a toddler and a newborn?

I have a 18 month old and a newborn and I dont know how I am going to handle taking care of both. Any help????

armywife698959

Asked by armywife698959 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Even when I'm feeding my daughter, I sometimes have to put her down to get my son. Whether he's pulling clean clothes out of the basket, or I accidentially left the bathroom door open and he wandered in there. Don't ever let yourself feel like you have to ignore one child to take care of the other. If one has to wait and fuss while you take care of the other it's okay. Don't get overwhelemed even if both are making a fuss. You are only one person, so you can only handle one child at a time. Try and keep your oldest on a schedule, so you know what he needs and when. That way you'll be able to do what he needs first and then tend to your newborn.

Be consistant. Follow Through. And don't give in. The second you're inconsistant and give, is the second he's got you wrapped around his finger. All the best!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I currently have a 3, 2, and 1 year old with a newborn. To be honest, going from one child to two was the most difficult for me. They were 15 months apart. My hardest lesson to learn (and one that I now handle better with each child!) is taking the time to deal with the toddler even when you are in the middle of caring for the newborn. My toddler learned VERY quickly that he could do whatever he wanted when I was holding the baby. I was getting SO frustrated with him and felt like I was yelling across the room all the time. But of course that doesn't help anything. It is very time consuming and exhausting, and it makes nursing take much longer. But take the time to stop feeding the baby and go deal with the toddler. It may take a month of consistency, but the toddler will soon learn that he can't get away with stuff just because mommy is busy. After I did that, he started obeying without me having to get up!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I have a one year old and a one month old. My son is generally a very good child (he's the older one) and listens to me very well. I rarely have to yell, because I've found that asking him nicely works a lot better. When he gets into the video cabnit I say "Leave it, please" and most times he walks away. Clearly he is still a toddler and I do have to become more firm with him. I have found that time outs work the best for us. I have been using time outs since he has become mobile and he knows what it means when I warn him that he will get one. He looks at me, then looks at what he was doing and decides whether it's worth it. When he does decide to keep causing trouble then I put him into his crib for a few minutes. He used to scream and cry, but now he sits in there quietly until I come and get him. I choose my battles, some are just not worth fighting. Also, if I have to put the newborn down to get my son, then so be it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2009