Despite of the Catholic Church threats, Victory, thoughts?

Great news today: marriage equality has just passed in Washington, D.C.!

It's a huge victory!!!

You may have heard that in a blatantly political move to prevent this vote the Catholic Archdiocese of Washington last month threatened to cut their social service programs if the bill passed.

I'm not making this up. They'd cut homeless shelters, food programs for needy families, and health services rather than provide equal benefits for employees in same-sex marriages.

Asked by older at 4:20 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • First off, yay for Washington DC! And secondly, yes, I read about the Catholic Church, and frankly, I was appalled. These charities are for people in need who have NOTHING to do with the gay marriage issue. Threatening to stop these charities was a ridiculous and frankly, dispicable thing to do. More than that, it was a political move, and I firmly believe in separation of church and state. Yet another reason for me to dislike the Catholic Church. I was raised Catholic, and while I have no problem with the religion and the original (oftentimes forgotten) message it stands for, I absolutely DESPISE the organization. I'm firmly convinced the Vatican is one of the most corrupt organizations on earth...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• it is their beliefes they dont have to support what they dont believe in . sadly that means their programs to. their programs are theirs to choose they dont have to do them
    Anonymous

• Congrats to GAY Americans in D.C!! When do the weddings start??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• So I guess if you want your wedding to be a big deal you should be gay huh?
    Anonymous

• True anon, but charity with conditions? Those people have nothing to do with the gay movement and yet they pay instead?

Answer by older at 4:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• It how it goes. MOST churches wont help you unless you are in their church as a member. So honestly it does not surprise me.
    anon:23
    Anonymous

• Anon 4:27, What??

Answer by older at 4:29 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• You mean there are other people in this country besides gays that have the nerve to stand up for what they believe in? How incredible is that!

eye rolling

Anonymous

• Yeah anon 4:30, at the cost of others who have nothing to do with it.

Answer by older at 4:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• The Human rights Campaign is asking people to write to Archbishop Wuerl not to play politics with the less fortunate, not to use this as an excuse to hurt thousands of homeless needy peple in Washington DC.

Answer by older at 4:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2009