toys for tots

Has anyone ever received toys for their child? Are they good about choosing the right toys for your childs age? What information can you give me about toys for tots? I signed up for it for my two year old daughter, I really want her to be happy on christmas. And also do you know if they give books because she loves to read?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• We got Toys for Tots once and it was awful. The toys were all on tables in a room. All the volunteers were smoking and all the toys smelled like smoke. Most were used (I don't know why). You got numbers to go in the room and got to pick one or two things for each child.

I use a wheelchair and by the time I was able to get up the far away old elevator there was nothing left. I never tried Toys for Tots again.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• well i guess gailll had a bad experience... the toys are new in boxes and you can choose from varities of toys on the shelves like a toy store. the people are very friendly and patient. you get a good amount just for one child.

these are some of the sections: section 1-you get to pick from big toys or exchange the big spendy toys for lets say 2 little ones, section 2- mittens and hats, section 3 -games, section4- gift for yourself section 5-stocking stuffers. there maybe more sections im missing but im not sure.

i was pretty surprised when my friend did this
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• personaly i hate that organization it only tkaes new unweapped toys in orginal boxes. i have alot of toys that are still in very good condtion and a child woudl be happy to have them but toys for tots wont take them and i am on the lower end of the income spectrum so i dont have money ot go buy a stangers kids toys i need all my money to help my own family but if they too gently used toys then i wold give them alot of toys i would eaven put new batteries in the toys too but they wont take them. honestly i can udnerstand not taking toys that look beaten but when a toy looks good why not take it a kid might love it i had a rocking horse i had to throw out becuase no place would take it my son rode it twice thats it.
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 5:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2009