child saying bad words

My daughter is 18months and she seaid the f word today at school! She also told me to shut up! What would you do?

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 4:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignore it. My hubby was joking around and told me to shut up and my kid started telling me to shut up. We just ignore him. We have slipped and said a cuss word before. My kid would say it once we ignored him and he never said it again.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Honestly, if you make too big a deal over it, she's probably just going to say it more. She doesn't really understand what she's saying yet, so if you just ignore her whenever she says it, she'll probably stop on her own. Or just calmly tell her "we don't use words like that", and leave it.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• She's only repeating what you or others have said around her, so you can't blame her.

Stop saying these things around her, and ask other people who are around her to speak nicely when she is around, and she will stop repeating these things.
    Anonymous

• Why is a 18 mo going to school?

I wouldn't send her to school. If I needed day care I would get home day care. Depending on the child I would either explain that's not a nice word or ignor it or both. Small children should not be in group care.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• They learn EVERYTHING from somewhere, so everyone needs to be careful when around a child that young.

At 18 months, she is old enough to understand no. You need to tell her "NO, do not say that to mommy" She'll learn if you say it everytime she tells you to shut up.

I remember when my DD was 15 months, she was trying to put on a sweater & was struggling to put it on herself. So easily she said "i cant get this "f-ing" sweater on" Being the A-hole that i am...lol....i just started DYING laughing. I could not help myself, it just seemed so funny to me. I know, I'm horrible! But, she is now 8 & knows not to say those words. But, kids repeat everything....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Im so glad i dnt have the only young child cussin. lol. my 22mth old son says "shit" all the time. Like its a regular word..i try and pay it no attention-and if he says it too much, or more than twice i usually correct him and say "no Jaydn". and he shakes his head. they kno the word "no". but they dnt kno any better- they dont kno what the words mean, let it go. and when they get in grade school and still saying the words, then its time to do something
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 7:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• WOW SAMUARI your daughter said that at 15 months... that's unbelievable.. .that's a full sentence!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• You can't completely ignore it - otherwise they won't know that it is bad. But you CANNOT, under any circumstances, LAUGH at it, or give them any attention over it. You quickly say, "No, you don't say that word", and continue on with whatever you were doing. Eventually they get that they don't get anything good from saying it, and that you are unhappy w/ them when they do, so they quit. It took about three days of this when my son picked up "Crap", and he hasn't said it for a week now.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:58 AM on Dec. 16, 2009