my daughter uying bad word

My 18 month olf said the f word today at daycare andthen told me to shut up today? Whatwouldyou do?

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 4:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• She has to be hearing it somewhere in order to learn the words to begin with. TV, home, Daycare, etc.... My daughter was obsessed with saying "sh*t" when she was small. Turns out when she went to my in-laws house, my BIL would say that word around her. Now we ask people to watch their language while she is around, and make sure she knows what words are acceptable to say. Luckily with her being that young it can be quickly forgotten, and she probably doesn't even realize what she's saying.
    Anonymous

• I have cussed like a proverbial sailor around my kids their whole lives, they are now teenagers, and neither one employs my vocabulary and never have. I always told them there are no bad words, only inappropriate places to use them and people to use them around. If you freak out and make a huge deal over this, she will just want to say it more. Just keep telling her that other people may use x or y word, but it's your rule not to.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I'd raise my own kid. Seriously, this is happening way to much with parents who have daycare kids. I've seen it waaaay to much recently.
    morethanme_you

Answer by morethanme_you at 5:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• find out where she learned it and what she thinks it means i know kids soemtiems say tuck and it sounds like fuck and kids could be tring to say frog and it could ocme out fuck a little one i watched a while ago use to say fuck all time we had no idea why till one day sh said ohhhhh fucks on tv fucks on tv and there were frogs on tv we were like ohhhhh thats what fucks are lol
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 5:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I do this,except I dont have teens yet.Mine are 2 and 3years old.:

"Answered at 5:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 by: roachiesmom
    I have cussed like a proverbial sailor around my kids their whole lives, they are now teenagers, and neither one employs my vocabulary and never have. I always told them there are no bad words, only inappropriate places to use them and people to use them around. If you freak out and make a huge deal over this, she will just want to say it more. "
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 5:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Well, Id tell her its an adult word and not a nice one to say. Id make sure I explained that to her.
    Then Id tell her the next time she says naughty words she will get time out.

Thats it, I wont make a big deal out of a word especially since if I freak then my child may continue to use it just for effect.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2009