What If....

...your child began actively practicing a religion that you were adamantly against (insert reasons here), while still living in your home.

Would you feel that because it is your home, that you have the right to impose your personal beliefs, or that living under your roof obviates their right to personal beliefs?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 4:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As long as there's nothing dangerous, he can do as he pleases (and by dangerous I mean kiddie-cult play at being Satanist crap where they think listening to metal albums backwards and torturing the neighbor's cat is Satan's will)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I would let him chose whatever religion makes him happy. Its a part of finding yourself.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• If it was a cult, I'd intervene. But if it was just a religion I happen to not believe in? Which, in my case, is pretty much every religion, heh. I'd give him his space. I don't like people imposing their beliefs on me, so why would I do the same thing to my son? Would I be happy about it? Probably not... But I'd deal. He has to come to his own conclusions, regardless.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I would allow them to explore their beliefs, this is normal for many people, I would still follow and talk about my own beliefs.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• NP~ You mean to tell me that you will not be allowing any cat skinning parties at your home? oh, so judgmental!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Oh you better believe I would express my thoughts. I would handle it best that suited my childs personality. Its my job as a parent to guide my kids and with best intentions and to hope for the best outcomes.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• ADEMENTLY OPPOSED TO If I was adamantly opposed to it it would pretty much have to involve torturing animals. How can you throw out words like that and then act like you are the most tollerant person in the world.  You are full of yourself.  If I was ademently opposed to something my minor child was involved in then they wouldn't be involved in it anymore. Becasue guess what, I'm the parent.

Anonymous

• SO's parents had him exorcised when he was a teen. That sucked pretty bad.

I think I can handle any religious thing my kids throw at me except if they become fanatical Christians like SO's parents or join a cult or engage is dangerous activities (drinking poison to prove you have the spirit, animal sacrifice, flagellation, etc).

Of course, we hope they are like us. We think we've got it figured out, like every person of faith does, and we want them to have the same joy and peace that we have from our faith.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I am going to sound so closed minded, but remember I fully support religious freedom! LOL. But there is a verse in the Bible that says, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15. Our house is dedicated to our Lord God, and we won't share our home with anything else.

Now, when my girls grow up and get their own houses, they are free to worship (or not worship) however they choose.

I am not able to force them to believe in God, but as long as they live here they will honor the rules we have that are based on our faith, and they will go to church with us.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Ditto! CM
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 5:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2009