Were you....

..."born" into your religion, or did you actively explore numerous religious options in the pursuit of enlightenment before you decided to follow a specific path?

If you were born into your religion (indoctrinated) and have never researched any other religions, how can you make an informed decision about your beliefs?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 4:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• explored.

My mom was raised Catholic, but is now Hindu. My dad was raised Protestant & is now Buddhist. So, we learned it all when we were kids. My parents let us believe what we want. They said all paths hold truth, & i agree.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I grew up in a Christian family, but I've always been an atheist.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school and everything. But by the time I was about 16, my parents let me decide for myself if I wanted to continue going to church and practicing the religion, and I chose not to. I have issues with a lot of the opinions the church has (for example, on birth control, abortion, homosexuality), and furthermore, I just couldn't make myself believe in some deity. I'm extremely logical and factual by nature, and I can't believe in something without proof, I can't follow a book that has been translated, modified, and has had parts removed/rewritten more times than I can count...

I believe every religion's basic message is one of love, understanding, tolerance, and forgiveness, which is often lost in the day to day politics of the organization. But I can practice those principles just fine without involving religion.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My parents came from different backgrounds and began taking us to a church that they chose after much research on their part. I have a great deal of respect for the church they took us to and would be happy to continue a relationship with the faith. However, that church does not represent my personal faith fully. SO and I practice a much broader faith than either of us grew up with.

There is nothing wrong with taking children to practice the faith of the parents. Indoctrination is a derogatory term. Any faith that helps children interact in a positive and charitable way can be a positive experience.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I was not born into a religion. I remember going to a few churches as a kid. I explored after having my daughter. I always believed in God but never did anything about it until she was born. Now Im kind of slacking.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I was not born into a Christian family by any means. I never went to church growing up, I though Christmas was about Santa and Easter about a chocolate bunny. LOL. But seriously, my mom was an alcoholic and I was brought up around a bunch of partying drunks. That is what I became myself at an early age.

But I have always been intrigued by the spiritual realm and I did explore other faiths. I was a Buddhist for many years and I also was into some very dark beliefs for a while too. Long story short, I have always been intersted in religious ideas and spiritual experiences.

Then I met God : ) and I don't follow Him because I am afraid of hell or because of any type of "indoctrination." I follow Him because He is the truth and He loves me.

So I am not intersted in anything else anymore; I don't care about tickling my imagination, because I know God personally.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I was raised Pentecostal, Apostolic (meaning we follow the Apostles Doctrine(teachings) which Jesus Christ being the Chief Apostle) Training in this path teaches you how to experience God for yourself. As a child the principles taught are very basic that gives the child an appetite to want to learn more, not about the faith but about the God of the faith. Some children have been open enough to experience this and have had no desire to follow anything else for the simple reason their soul has been satisfied. Then you have others that choose to walk away try other paths only to find out that nothing compares to the power God gives through the Holy Ghost. Then you have some that will not stay the path because they do not want to pay to walk that path. (self sacrifice)

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 5:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• But to fully answer the question. I had read about other religions and nothing compare to the experiences following Christ has to offer.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• * JulieJacobKyle

I grew up in a Christian family, but I've always been an atheist.

~~~~

What Julie said.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• my parents loved me enough to teach me about Jesus
    Anonymous