Laxative before induction

Before they induce you do they give you a laxative?

jen.ritterbel

Asked by jen.ritterbel at 5:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, they wanted to give me a suppository and I laughed and was like no, they tried to tell me it would hinder my labor (not having a BM) and thats not true. Also I did not get hemorrhoids because of it either. They did give me colace after though.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My mom got an enema with me, her first, and had a fabulous labor with no struggle or drugs. She just assumed she would get one with her subsequent labors and didn't. More trouble with them. She HIGHLY recommends the enema. She said she pooped then I was out in one push like 15 minutes later.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• No they dont but I took one myself two night before my induction with my first baby and then I ate VERY lightly the day before my induction and nothing the day of. With my second, I just ate lightly the day before and nothing the day of. I wouldnt do it again though because there isnt really a point. I know that pooping during labor is a common fear (I know I still fear it even though I didnt do it the first two times) but its so common that the doc will just wipe it away as it comes out. Yes, people might notice but oh well... if you poop then you are obviously pushing correctly!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• No - no enema, no laxative. I never pooped during labor either. They recommended I eat VERY lightly the day of, so I just had clear liquids - chicken broth and juice.

Answer by missanc at 8:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2009