Membrane stripping?

How long does it take to take effect? How do you know it's going to work for you or not? do you just have to wait or will I be feeling something? What percent of pregnant women does it work for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My doctor told me that it works for some woman and some women it doesn't. She said that there have been tests to show that it will make you go into labor 72 hours before you would have without getting stripped. I"m 39 weeks and I've gotten my membranes stripped twice. The first time was a week ago and then i got it done again yesterday and still no baby. I did have some bleeding so be sure to where a pad after you get it done. It doesn't really hurt either but it is slightly more uncomfortable then your regular exam.
    jen.ritterbel

Answer by jen.ritterbel at 5:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• to tell you the truth it doesnt work for everyone. i had my doine and went into labor 3 hrs later. my friend had her stripped 3 times and she still was overdue. had to be induced whcih ended up in a c-section. every one is different ,it works for avery few woman. i was also 4 cm and 75: thin out so that also help too
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• If it works for you, it usually works within 24 hours. But for a lot of women it doesn't work. Mine were stripped a week before my due date, and NOTHIN. They were stripped the day before my due date (the second time) and I had my baby almost exactly 24 hours later. .
    Anonymous

• It works for some and other's it does not. It helps if you go do some serious power walking after :)
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 6:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• google cochrane collaboration because they have a good article on this
    Anonymous