treadmill workout help

ok i have been working out on the treadmill and it hurt so bad i do stretch before i'm only at speed 23 just a fast walk my calves are so sore i work out every day for 30 mins why can't i speed up the pace and why do it hurt so much i'm 220 pounds and need to lose alot my goal weight is 135 i own the treadmill so i workout at home any advice would be great.

nates_wifey623

Asked by nates_wifey623 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• A lot of times you're sore because you need more water and potassium (sp??). Also just a though, protein is a GREAT catalyst for losing weight, make sure you eat one with each meal!
    Anonymous

• Your probably arnt used to. How long have you been working out on it? I always thought that you exercise for 3 or 5 days out of a week. That way those other days your body can heal. If you are working out 7 days a week, I would rest for a day.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Are your shoes good? Do you wear heels a lot? You may need an orthodic insert until you get some of the weight off. This really sounds like a shoe problem/ arch support problem.

Go to a good shoe place and get fitted right. You might want to talk with your GP and see if you can get an insert from him/her.

Also, is the treadmill level? If you are at a slight decline, you could kill your calves then later on it'll wreck your shins and knees. Try to walk flat or at your low level incline.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I have been working out for 3 weeks and i have no incline my shoes might be the problem i'll try it thank you
    nates_wifey623

Answer by nates_wifey623 at 6:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• It could be your not used to it...start slow and work your way to a faster speed...no sense in burning out before you get started.I started on my treadmill when I was 275 pounds..started with just 20 minutes at a slow speed and slowly worked my way up to running...make sure you have good shoes and stay hydrated.
    Nattiesmom9603

Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Great advice so far! Shoes definitely should help, so make sure to do that. Also, make sure to have rest days. If you don't want to take a day off, do something different, like yoga or pilates that will give you a different type of workout. Make sure you have a little snack afterward that has complex carbs & protein. I know of a great product that does wonders when you use it within 1 hour of working out, that really decrease the soreness. Let me know if you would like more info.

Also, soaking in a warm bath with some epsom salts works great. I've done that lots of times when I way over did it & I always come out feeling better. Usually still some soreness, but at least bearable.

Let me know if I can help you in any other way! Whatever you do, just don't give up! :)
    Iowagirl69

Answer by Iowagirl69 at 7:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2009