Should you give your entire heart to your husband or do you think it is better to tuck a part of yourself away for safety?

me-time

Asked by me-time at 6:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• Well, keeping part of yourself back will definately spare you some heartache in the event things don't go well. But it will also keep you from havng as much joy should everything go right.

The divorce rate is 50%. You have every bit as much chance of having a long, happy marriage as having it end in divorce. I, personally, want to live my life to the fullest. I don't hold anything back. I want to be open to joy :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• You can't ever give all of yourself to another person. You have other people that you love and you always have to save some of yourself for you. But you should be willing to always keep your heart open as much as you can.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 6:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Personally I would never give my entire heart to anyone ever again. That's just me though. I've been hurt way too many times so I choose safety.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• If you have to "tuck a bit of yourself away for safety" then it's not a good relationship.
    Anonymous

• i feel like i give all of myself to him but i could honestly turn around and walk out the door without even thinking about it twice..because i've learned with my past not to be a frickin idiot and he knows this about me so i dont think we will ever have issues
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I disagree w/ anon. I think having your dh love you just a little more than you do him, or tuck a part of your own heart away is a good thing and I've been married 12 years. It's working so far!
    Anonymous

• If you don't feel like you can give your heart 100% to someone, then you shouldn't marry them. Its not fair to either of you...you are basically dooming your relationship.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 7:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• This is a good question. But I think you have the idea wrong. I always thought you GIVE yourself to a man - and he, in turn, GIVES himself to you - then that's true love. In reality, that's b.s..
    In a mature marriage - you are secure in who you are - and you let him love you. You are strong on the inside, yet feeling, soft and vulnerable on the outside.
    I struggled with this for years. Two resources that helped me tremendously are Byron Katie "The Work" and Rori Raye : www.HaveTheRelationshipYouWant.com
    Good luck.
    readmom

Answer by readmom at 12:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2009