Does anyone have a young child with anxiety, like OCD? What do you do to help them with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have a son with Aspergers and one of his issues is anxiety, he has therapy, has been taught coping skills and takes a very low dose of prozac to help with both the anxiety and sensory issues.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 6:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Anxiety and OCD are 2 different disorders. My son has anxiety disorder and he is not medicated for it, he has learned how to control it without meds. If you think your child has either of these or another disorder, please have them evaluated.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Play therapy for young children with a certified play therapist. As well as family therapy. If one member of the family has a disorder then the entire family is living with that disorder as well - because you live with your loved one. Anxiety is a result of an intrusive and unwanted thought or thoughts that bring forth intense negative emotions. In order to cope with these strong feelings some people develop compulsions to reduce that level of anxiety and to feel better. In therapeutic settings you can learn how to reduce and minimize stressors/triggers that cause the anxiety, how to cope as a family when the trigger and compulsion collide, and for the child to learn more positive coping strategies. Anxiety is part of OCD. Tryfry you are both wrong and right. You can have anxiety without compulsion but you cannot have OCD without anxiety.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Some children and adults can be treated very effectively without medication. In some people they need the medication to help with these intrusive thoughts and the feelings that come with them. Any parent who knows the nightmare of OCD will tell you it is not an easy fix. It takes time and a lot of understanding. Patience is easier said than done.  There are also support groups for parents - you can try to contact one.  If I had a child living with OCD I would truly consider medication and I would not hesitate to find a certified play therapist in my area who is able to tell me what types of methods best used.  CBT is a great one (cognitive behavioral therapy) and he or she would have to know it to my satisfaction.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Anxiety and OCD are not completely different disorders.
    Anonymous

• I have a 3 yr old with SEVERE OCD and Trichiphagia. Both have been tough to cope with. We have decided to treat with diet changes and behavior therapy. I am a stay at home mom, so it is something that is an option for me. We did not want to medicate because no one really had experience with a child so young with OCD like hers. We have done Occupational Therapy which has helped with the anger that the OCD has led too. If you would have asked me 2 yrs ago how bad OCD was, I would have told you it was nothing to be concerned about...just annoying patterns and thoughts... this is a nightmare...my poor little girl has no way to express the thoughts and feelings that you is experiencing, so the anger and aggression grows... it has been getting better... but it is still tough!

Good Luck with your child. It is a tough and scary thing. OCD is an anxiety based disorder! Controling one can help control the other! <3
    jilliebean0403

Answer by jilliebean0403 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2010