6 month old is using me as human pacifier!!

My son is 6 months old and used to sleep through the night since he was 2 weeks old. Lately I've been trying to wean him (to no success) but he has been throwing HORRIBLE tantrums... on top of that he wants to use me as a pacifier ALL night, if I take my nipple out of his mouth he screams until I put it back in... ... I go to school so waking up 6 times a night is exhausting! I thought babies didn't throw fits until they were older.... any advice?

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give him a pacifier? If you are totally against them than I don't know..Maybe he isn't ready to be weaned.
    Anonymous

• Why are you weaning? It sounds like he is not even close to being ready to wean and maybe if you stopped trying to wean then he would be better about sleeping at night.
    Anonymous

• They throw fits at ALL ages. And pacifiers are mom replacement devices. But you can certainly try giving him one. If he's sleeping with you, try transitioning him to his own bed...info on drjaygordon.com. If he IS in his own bed...the opposite approach of co-sleeping might just help you.

Don't feel you have to wean to go to school. The most successful breastfeeding moms I"ve known worked 40+ hours a week outside the home. I only state this because there's this myth that you must be a SAHM to nurse. Simply isn't true.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Stop trying to push early weaning and he should calm down. He knows what he wants, he's just reacting in the only way he knows how.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• My son tries to do this at night too. He wants the nipple in his mouth all night long. Im not weaning him yet though. Hope you get thourgh it GL
    Chas21

Answer by Chas21 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• First, babies wake in the night. You just got used to him not calling out for you/waking you up/you not hearing. All babies wake in the night. That's normal even for adults to do. You don't spend the whole night in deep sleep and you wake even ifyou don't remember it.

He is freaking out because you are trying to wean him and he's in a growth spurt! He's hard wired to want to suckle a lot in order to build up supply. He knows something is terribly wrong and he freaks out to let you know all is not right with his world.

I hate to be harsh, but parenting doesn't end at sundown. Weaned or not, expect to get up. Teething is coming up and what are you going to do then? Accept that babies wake up.. It is you that needs to adjust. Learn how to nurse lying down and sleep through a nursing and you will get more sleep than you ever could before. You also just have to get used to interrupted nights.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• You aren't a human pacifer, by the way. Pacifers were invented to replace you, not the other way around. Once his growth spurt has passed and you stop forced weaning, he'll calm down and be able to sleep 4 hour stretches (any more than that consider yourself fortunate). It is exhausting yes, but you'll get through it.

http://www.askdrsears.com/HTML/7/T070200.ASP

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Unless you have a physical reason to wean, you really should try to go at least the recommended two years.

Mommies are for comfort and nourisment. If you co-sleep, you will all sleep better.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2009