Homeschooling mamas (of all faiths)

I know that some of you homeschool, and I was wondering how it works for your family?

What is your philosophy of eductation? How do you integrate you faith into the studies? How do you organize your day?

What other special activities do you do?

Do you have any advice to a new homeschooling mom? Encouragement?

We have recently made the decision to homeschool, starting next year

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 6:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My dd was laying on my arms while I was typing, sorry.

I do know how to spell education. I know it looks really bad when you announce your are going to be the one teaching your children, and you can't even spell.

LOL
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• take it for what you will... i'll have my say.

please reconsider HS, please, please, for their future ability to function like NORMAL people. please reconsider. no amount of "socialization" that a parent can arrange in a HS scenario is enough. there are always levels of control that do not exist in a public/private school setting, and as hard as it is for some people to let go of that, they need to.
    unless a child is mentally/physically disabled, there is never a good reason to HS- I am the product of religion being integrated into curriculum, even WITH outside socialization it takes YEARS to begin to recover from... please reconsider.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• ObbyDobbie, I am sorry that you had a traumatic experience. And I agree. I have seen many kids tortured, by being homeschooled. LOL. Really. I have thought about that. I know there are weird homeschooled kids out there, and they come from weird homeschool parents. LOL. But there are a lot of really cool kids too, with really cool parents. I am a little biased but I think I will be one of the cool ones.

We are going to do it with a huge group of kids and she will have a ton of friends. The group meets weekly for various classes. Plus she has a million friends at church. So I am not as worried about the socialization. In fact, my dd is sooooo social that she CAN'T focus in school at all. She is always talking, getting in trouble, wiggling, and looking at people making silly faces. She doesn't pay attention because she is so social. LOL. That is one of the reasons I thought it might be easier to learn in a smaller setting.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• We did integrate our faith into our studies. As far as socialization goes, that really lies in your court. My son was in sports, music & art in addition to our church activities. So we stayed pretty busy. I have him in public school now. I homeschooled for a year and a half due to not liking the school district. When his new school tested him he tested 2 grade levels higher in everything but math, which he tested average. Homeschool is what you make of it IMO.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Where she can play with her friends and not get in trouble, and learn more without being distracted.

I will of course monitor her growth and happiness, and make sure she isn't tortured. But I think she will like it more. We will be able to get our studies done in the morning and then have more time for field trips, nature walks, interest led education, Disneyland : ) and family time.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:32 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I homeschool, but I follow a secular curriculum. Sometimes we'll get into Church history, but right now he's more into military history, and I'm OK with that. He gets plenty (and I do mean plenty) of faith-based conversations and information during our normal week. Hubby and I belong to two different Christian denominations, so the kids go to both. As well as church activities sponsored by both churches. And social get-togethers with members of both churches. So he gets all kinds of faith-related exposure. I don't have to bring it into his studies.

My philosophy - the Trivium. Very classical, very basic. And very very flexible. We have a wide variety of resources here, from museums to natural geography, so special activities vary from day to day. Right now, we're playing catch-up from the public school debacle.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 6:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I home-school my boys, but I am a an atheist, so we don't incorporate faith into our studies. We mostly do unschooling, which means we don't follow a set curriculum. My sons learn what they want, when they want, but that doesn't mean they just sit around and do nothing. They actively seek out information, and I plan activities and lessons based on their questions and interests.
    We are part of a very active home-school group that meets weekly, sometimes twice weekly, and my boys also do karate twice a week.
    It can be difficult and discouraging some days, especially when it seems like you never get a break from your kids. But if you know this is what's best for your family, you can make it work!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• - I am the product of religion being integrated into curriculum, even WITH outside socialization it takes YEARS to begin to recover from

not all homeschooling is about integrating religion into curriculum. there over 300 members in a secular homeschooling group here on CM 

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Homeschooling is a breeze. My spirituality, and rituals has everything to do with science, math, history, literature, art, and even music. I educate him on topics beyond textbook discussion. Its always great to go out doors for lessons.

You can easily incorporate math and science in the kitchen by letting your little one help you make snacks or cook breakfast/dinner. It helps my 4yr old to relate what he learns into real life situations and he is more willing to eat what he cooks! Literature can be fun when telling stories or making up your own and having the kid(s) add to it. Art and music are best (for me) around the holidays. On spare time I let mine play NickJr Boost. Also for exercise (in addition to outdoor play) we do yoga for kids with OnDemand videos.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I dont have a specific curriculum because I bought various books for each subject I wanted to teach. I have a schedule of what subject is to be worked on that day along with art project, reading(cuz he's 5 and learning how)and exercise time.

This is our first year so we are still figuring it all out but so far its doing alright.

I dont incorporate religion or spirituality into my teaching. Right now, its basic things to get him going in life. Those things can be taught out of a school setting and as the years go on.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2009