What would you do if you caught a 7-yr-old stealing?

My daughter is 7 and her best friend, Mary, was in our house for a sleep-over. When I woke up in the morning I saw Mary downstairs putting my wallet back in my handbag. I didn't say anything but when I checked I was 20$ short. What would you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would talk to mary's mom....
    Anonymous

• I would talk to her mom and not let my daughter hangout with her again
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Tell her mother and keep my daughter away from her!
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Confront the girl, and talk to the mom, I wouldn't let her hang out with this girl again.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 6:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• i would first get my 20 bucks back even if it meant going through little mary's things, then i would tell her she owes me an apology, then i would call her mother and get another apology and not allow my daughter around her again. Her mom probably does the same thing
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:29 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I would talk to her mom... Tell her what happened. After that, it's pretty much up to the mom. Ideally, she'd make her give the money back and apologize.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Agreed, confront the girl on the spot... get your money back... call the mother - ASAP. Stealing is NOT okay.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• what did you do?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Did you stop to ask the child why she took the money? Did you stop to think maybe her family needed the money? Did you stop to turn the other cheek? Remember we are to live our lifes like Christ, What would Jesus Do? Dont be so quick to cast stones! Why did you leave your person where the child could get to it?If the childs mom steals, then you cant very well expect an apology from her, she would not see anything wrong with it.You should speak to the child just like you would your own, asking her why she took it, and explain to her why it is wrong.Like it breaks the 10 commandments, if she really needed the money she should have asked for it. As for not allowing your child to hang around her, understand this your child may not bring her to the house & she may not go to the little girls, but unless you are going to follow her daily she will continue to be friends with this child, and u will only cause a problem for later.
    paynekim

Answer by paynekim at 6:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I don't think you should keep your daughter away from that kid. Find out why she did it first. Maybe her mom has no clue. I had a friend in high school who stole my wallet and when I found out she told me that she does it. She steals, she has NO IDEA why she does it and she feels really bad for doing it but she keeps doing it. Maybe that child has the same problem and needs profesional help.

Is her family poor?

I'd talk to little Mary and to her parents and I WOULD let my daughter hang out with Mary. I really don't think a 7-yr-old and be "bad".
    lovemytwinsters

Answer by lovemytwinsters at 6:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2009