Re-gifting

I told my bff(known her for 25yrs), not to get anything for our family this year because we are only buying for our 3 kids and trying to stretch our dollar because of the economy. She gave me gifts anyway, and they were obvious re-gifts. I will not say anything negative to her, but, what do you all think about re-gifting? Her gifts to us were: hot cocoa packets, microwave popcorn, and a necklace that her sister bought her that she didn't want.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• That's an odd lot. Don't give anything. Maybe she's just giving to give. I would feel no obligation to return a pack of cocoa or popcorn.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• It depends... if it's junk nobody would want, then it's just lame. But if it's something nice that for whatever reason you can't use, it's okay. Better somebody get good use out of it than just having it sit somewhere collecting dust. But yeah, hot cocoa packets and microwave popcorn are kind of lame.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I've gotten some perfectly lovely gifts, but they just aren't me. For instance, I DETEST nick-nacks. I've gotten some expensive nice ones as gifts. I will re-gift them rather than waste them.

I won't re-gift a $5 Wal Mart bath set though.
    Anonymous

• If you agreed not to exchange gifts and she got you some "nice" hot cocoa packets (not Swiss Miss, but like Godiva or something) and some microwave popcorn so you could have a "movie night" with your family, I think that's lovely! What a nice friend that she didn't want to completely leave you out of her gift giving. How do you know they were re-gifts? And maybe the necklace wasn't her style, but she genuinely thought that you might like it!
    I personally don't regift, if I get something I don't want I either donate it or give it to someone that will use it (not as a gift, just as a "thought you might like this"), but I wouldn't think badly of someone who regifted to me. Particularly since you had decided NOT to give gifts anyway.

Answer by missanc at 8:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• OMG missanc- it was Swiss Miss!
    Anonymous