Does anyone have any tips or suggestions about milk allergies in breast fed babies?

My 6 week old daughter's stool randomly changed color and consistency (yellow to green) and one one occasion there was blood streaks. I immediately called the doctor, but since she was nursing well he said to just observe her and call if anything worsened. The next morning, she wouldn't eat and was extremely fussy. I called the doctor again and they asked to see her. In the end, they feel that she more than likely has a milk allergy. Because I am exclusively breastfeeding I now need to cut dairy products from my diet. Does anyone have any advice for doing this, or have any secret tips for cooking etc.? Also, anyone with a similar story - I'd love to hear how your LO did with their allergy and how you handled it. Thanks so much!

MKD1030

Asked by MKD1030 at 6:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe u should try to limit ur diet to like soy based products, or rice based as far as a similar "milk" alternative, OR simply try the Lactaid u find near milk? Possibly would be the best thing to try, I know if I had that problem Id try because there are lots of vitamins and I would feel that my child would need them
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 7:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I haven't done it personally, but we have quite a few moms over on the breastfeeding moms group who HAVE...so please stop in.

Also google "dairy free living" for some great websites.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Lactaid won't do anything, just FYI. Lactose isn't the problem, it's the proteins found in dairy.

I cut out dairy for my now almost 4 year old. I used almond/rice milk in baking, bone broth in cooking (and to supplement calcium), and smart balance organic for butter. Skipped anything with cheese and subbed avocado anywhere I could (for the fat, and also the taste/texture)... think sandwiches, wraps, burritos and omlettes. Soy yogurt was the only soy product I used regularly, I really tried to limit my use of soy. Lastly, chocolate sorbet was perfect for a sweet treat! :)

Just read labels and don't buy anything pre-made/pre-packaged unless you really have to. It's hard at first... but it gets easier. I would also order pizza without cheese and just lots of toppings!

I found by about 18 months I didn't have to watch my diet as much and he started cows milk at 2.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• i took out all the milk and bought Silk, it's actually pretty yummy to me so I was fine with transitioning to soy. cheese was the big problem for me, it's actually ok to have a little bit of cheese but when you start asking for extra cheese on your pizza or a snack of a big ole block of cheese than you know that your baby will have a problem that night, i think it has a lot to do with control. ice cream is likely to get her really agitated so soy ice cream is best if you're an ice cream kind of girl like myself GL mommy. I know it's a struggle but it'll be ok.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 8:29 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• limiting your milk or dairy will not help if your baby has a milk allergy YOU still produce milk no matter what you eat ...with that said IT IS VERY VERY VERY UNLIKELY that your baby has a milk allergy .... and green and yellow poop are NORMAL breast milk poops... now if you see 'blood' streaking again bring the poopy to the drs office and tell them to guiac it-- to let you know if that is really blood and if it is you need to take her to a pediatric gastroenterologist ASAP--- if your baby truely has a milk allergy youd have to stop breastfeeding
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• OM you really need to look up what the components of breast milk are drinking milk does not make a difference if it is cows milk soy milk or goats milk you still make regular breastmilk... this post is killing me
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:16 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Thanks for the tips and advice thus far. Her stool tested positive for an allergy to the proteins found in milk/dairy. I am in fact still able to breast feed (praise the Lord), however I do have to cut out "hard" dairy substances such as milk, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, etc. I was told that I could possibly try soy milk after a couple weeks, but often babies can have a reaction to that as well.

I'm definitely going to try chocolate sorbet!! That suggestion made me very happy! Thank you so much Leanne for the rice milk suggestion for cooking. My husband and I were trying to figure out what we could do for situations such as this. :)

Keep any suggestions for yummy snack etc. coming! :)
    MKD1030

Answer by MKD1030 at 9:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• We found out about my daughters Milk protien allergy at about 8 months old and I cut out all dairy. We used rice milk to cook with and there are several butter replacements. My daughter out grew her dairy allergy around the age of 3. She is now 5 and she doesn't drink strait cows milk only because she doesn't care for it but she can have cheese and other things with dairy in them. It seems overwhelming at first but with time you will get into a groove.
    Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 10:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• MELRN, the foods a breastfeeding mother eats CAN cause the infant distress if they have an allergy or a sensitivity.

A lot of babies who are sensitive to dairy are also sensitive to soy, so that's something to keep in mind if you go dairy-free and don't see a difference. Also, dairy can take a few weeks to get completely out of your system, so give it time. Here's a site that includes all of the "hidden" names for dairy that you might see on a label:

http://www.fussybaby.ca/breastfeedingdairy.html

And I just want to say that I think it's awesome when moms would rather adjust diet than wean off breastmilk. It's definitely a sacrifice, but well worth it.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 11:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I am in a similar boat myself. Only I didn't get such an obvious reaction from my 7 week DS. He just has a horribly hard time passing gas or pooping. I figured that I would cut dairy for a while and see if that helped. After talking to my parents and SO's parents we found out that we were both allergic to milk as babies, so it's more than likely the problem with DS. I've only been doing this for about 3 days and DS is already showing improvement with being able to pass his gas. Good Luck though, I know I'm gonna have a hell of a time keeping this up!!
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 5:52 AM on Dec. 16, 2009