Pagans/wiccans.... Yule question :)

So Winter solstice is on Dec 21. This is my first year celebrating it. I dont know what is correct or not. Do you open presents on that day too or dec 22nd in the morning like if it was xmas? im only asking this because im confused. we are not doing christmas what so ever. my husband agreed with me and this is what i would like. i want the kids to open there presents in the morning but the day after yule. i just like opening them in the morning. on the 25th i promised and agreed on only opening hubbys present and him opening mine that day. But no dinner on the 24th..

How are you doing your Yule/winter solstice? are you doing any rituals? we are kinda low on money right now and i was going to buy ham for Dec 21st but my midwife told me i cant have that right now. so i have no idea what to make for everyone to eat. I have a bad yeast infection and i cant eat any starchy/sugary foods.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Traditional Yule starts tomorrow on the new moon. We start handing out small, unwrapped gifts tomorrow. After the kid is in bed I'll do a blot for Mother Night, and there will be another on the 27th for 12th Night. Santa will come on the 24th, mostly for the convenience of not having to explain to him not to ruin it for the other kids at school. The Catholic side of the family sends Christmas presents, so that's when he opens them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I am doing a mix of Yule and Christmas.
    Like NP i'll be handing out one gift for starting tomorrow. But they will be wrapped until the one i hand out on the 21st. Those ones will not be wrapped and they are specifically Pagan presents. Then they will go back to being normal wrapped presents. They will open all of my IL's gifts on Christmas Eve because that is when we will be over there. They will open the majority of the other gifts on Dec 25th except i'll save a couple for each child to open on the 2 following nights.

I'm doing it this way for many reasons. It seems kinda complicated, i know. But it wont be. Normally i would do a ritual but my DH will be home from Germany so all of my attention will be with him sense i only see him twice a year.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Outstandinglove- i saw your write that before, why is he home only twice a year? Yes it is complicated for me and i rather just give my kids wrapped presents in one time. i dont know why its one present a day and then u wrapped it up lol? i bought my kids clothes only because thats what they needed. None of it is pagan. so looks like im doing something wrong. i just wanted to celebrate Yule and eat but all of this sounds complicated to me
    Anonymous

• He's not always home twice a year. i only get to see him about twice a year. He's in the military and has been overseas somewhere for the entirety of our relationship!
    You aren't doing anything wrong. i meant to add that. There is not really "right" or "wrong" way in Paganism. Just do whatever feels best to you. This is my first family Yule. All my other Yules i celebrated as a solitary. It takes time to figure out what traditions will work best for you.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Outstandinglove- My husband is also in the military (Army-Mechanic) i have to ask him what kind of job your hubby has because i dont know another besides Special OPS. sorry he isnt home that much. it sucks. My husband was deployed for 15 months and he just got back this july. Thanks for the info on Yule :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• OK

Here's my interpretation of the difference between "Yule" and "Winter Solstice" (WS).  Yule is the Holiday, WS is the astronomical event.  WS can be scientifically measured, and takes place on a specific date at a specific time.  here  Yule, on the other hand, is the Celebration and can be celebrated whenever you choose (especially for us Urban Witches). 

con't...

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I'm also of the belief, like OLive above, that there is no "right" or "wrong" in Paganism.  This year my Circle just so happens to be celebrating Yule on the 21st...but we usually celebrate the Sabbats and Esbats on the weekend closest. If you want your kids to open presents from the "Holly King" (or Santa, or whatever) on the morning of the 22nd...so be it.  Your house, your decision.  As for the presents here at my house:  1) DD is too little for Santa, and SS is with his mom this year for Xmas day, and 2) we've got extended family get-togethers on the 24th and 27th for my side and don't know yet for DH's side (trying to convince him to take the kids down to KS to his folks'...and leaving me here with the house all to yself and making THAT my present!).

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Thanks ladies, i know in paganism there is no right or wrong. Its what you choose that fits for you. My path is wiccan. i like none complicated stuff lol makes it way easier for me to function! What about foods? what are some easy foods to make?
    Anonymous

• See that is the beauty of earth religions..you are only bound by your own spiritual ideals and needs. You do not have to conform to doing things a certain way, unless you are comfortable with it.
    We celebrate both Yule and Christmas...Yule for the spiritual side, Christmas for the family togetherness side with Christian Relatives.

This year, we decided to create a new tradition for our family called Yannukah. It combines the idea of Yule with Hannukah...but the 8 days stand, instead, as a celebration of the 8 high holidays of earth religions. Then, as part of our celebrations...through our homeschooling, we are doing a Unit Study on Hannukah, so that my son knows why other people celebrate in their way at this time. (we are UU pagans...so we are teaching about all religions, and this provides an excellent opportunity too teach about Judaism.)

My point is...do what YOU are comfortable with..Blessings & Namaste' Arianna
    Arianna

Answer by Arianna at 11:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2009