Is a child drawing Jesus on a Cross a "violent image" worthy of punishment?

An eight year old elementary school student in Taunton was sent home from school and required to undergo a psychological evaluation after drawing a stick figure picture of Jesus on the cross.
The second grader at Maxham Elementary school was told by this teacher that the drawing was violent. This was after the class was asked to sketch something that reminded them of Christmas. …
The father tells the “Taunton Gazette” because his son put Xs on the eyes of Jesus, the teacher thought it was violent.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 7:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yoshi, I am definitely not "bible belt folk" but you have a misunderstanding of the separation of church and state as it relates to school. The law is to prevent schools from teaching students religious beliefs. It is not meant to prevent children from expressing their personal beliefs while at school.

I am generally very liberal and can usually see the teacher's perspective in school related issues. But this time I don't understand at all what the teacher had an issue with. The child was obviously recreating an image he sees frequently. Nothing inappropriate.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 8:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:35 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I just read this--absolutely not! It is laughable. The student was asked to draw something that showed what Christmas means to him--he drew Jesus. I would say this kid gets it! The teacher and administrators are asshats.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 7:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Welcome to the land of zero tolerance. We had a PRE SCHOOLER suspended for smooching her best friend on the cheek. Stupidity and lack of resonability idiocy rein supreme in our country right now.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 7:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Absolutely not. This Zero Tolerance bullshit has gone too far.
    Anonymous

• I posted about this earlier grly...so ridiculous..deffinite overreaction..just how in the world can this drawing be compared to another of a teacher being shot and killed? The logic fails me...anyway,now this child is made to feel bad for something he believes in ..it was an innocent drawing..and the class was asked to draw something that reminds them of Christmas and he did..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• oops, sorry Tnmom.... I haven't caught up....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• No need to be sorry thanks for posting the drawing
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• ^ That is NOT violent. I agree with PsWifey...
    We are living in an overly 'PC" nation where Freedom of Speech is intolerent.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 15, 2009