Most common time for water breaking

Is it more common for your water to break when you are active and walking around or resting? I've heard of both but didn't know if one was more common than the other.

jen.ritterbel

Asked by jen.ritterbel at 7:56 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It doesn't matter what you're doing. Your water will break when it does. 15% of moms' waters break before labor, but it is much more common for the water to break between 8 and 9 cm of dilation. The water was designed to stay intact to cushion baby through most of labor, cutting the risk of fetal distress.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• my water didnt break with my first
    withmy seond i was 37 wks 3 cm and sleeping when my water broke
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• i agree with ati that it is most likely to break during labor, whether you are in water, in bed, on a birth ball, walking around. :)

mine broke before labor while i was just relaxing in the shower. :)
    Anonymous

• For most women, it doesn't break until you are well into labor. Many times, the doc or midwife ends up breaking your water. Mine, however, broke 15 hours before my first contraction. I was asleep, it was about 5AM, and I thought I had wet the bed. It actually took me awhile to figure out what was REALLY going on!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:22 AM on Dec. 16, 2009