Have you ever worked in retail? Have any horror stories?

Oh, honey. I could go on for days about the kinds of people I encountered at Walgreens. I also worked at Arby's once upon a time. Drive thru customers were the rudest.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• When I was 18, I worked at a thrift store and we were robbed at gunpoint about 30 minutes before we opened one day.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• CVSangry costumer thehad top call the police cuz he try to hit me. why cuz he send his mexican cook to get his pictures i offer the 5x7 pics and the guys said yes( i had no clue the pics werent his) next thing i know this guy walks in and comes charging at me the had to call the cops
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• when i'd only worked in hair less than two years, my family (yes, i was still living at home) moved..and i was faced with 'did i want to do hair?'..so i got a job at dillards (department store) in the ladies shoes....bad decision! i, like any girl, love shoes! but shoe customers are the worst!! you spend untold minutes going and grabbing one pair after another, they sashay/shante' across the floor, admiring their feet...or they'd insist on squeezing into a smaller size (what is this crazy disbelief women have with having large feet? not everyone can wear a size 6 1/2!), and they'd blame the shoe. LOL..anyhoo, the worse part was thinking you'd sold two or three or more pairs (big commission!), and they'd end up returning all but one pair, or all of them, a few days later. plus, the other 'seasoned' salespeople were nasty about grabbing sells. ruthless, i tell ya!! it made me not want to step foot (HA!) for several years!!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I had an alternator and some radiator hoses chucked at me. LOL
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• I worked at a convenience store and we had a soda sale two for a dollar. A women called me a racist because I wouldn't sell her 1 for 50 cents. She would not believe that i wasn't allowed to and got in my face and everything over it1
    Anonymous

• I worked retail for years. The wierdest story I have is when a guy came out of the bathroom gushing blood everywhere. (He tried to walk all the way to the front of the store and drive himself to the hospital, but was stopped by management.) We thought he had been stabbed.
    Turned out he had had a hernia repair operation and had ripped open his stitches. He was bleeding from his guts all over the freaking store. The bathroom was like a murder scene. Someone started cleaning it up after we got him handed over to EMTs. But, we had to stop, we had to close the store and have a HAZMAT team come clean it up. FREAKY.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• OMG! i have so many horror stories from working at a deli! My favorite ones were the ones who insisted on a product that didn't exist.they would yell at me for not having it,claiming they just got it here last week! We had alot of "taste testers" who would stand there wanting samples of about 10 different things,and then just walk away without buying anything.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I was a cashier at Kmart a couple years ago and we're supposed to smile and be pleasant to each and every customer. Well, I'm a naturally happy-go-lucky person who smiles most of the time, so this wasn't a hard thing for me to do.
    A customer came through my line and screamed at me for smiling at her. I apologized and told her I was a happy person and continued to ring up her items. She kept ranting and raving about my smiling and I got so aggravated at her weirdness that I kept on smiling just to piss her off...lol.
    Can you believe she actually reported me to the store manager for smiling at her?! Not only did he apologize to her, but he wrote up a report! LOL....he later told me he put his opinions in the report about the mental functions of the customer because I was just doing my job and following company policy.
    LOL....keep on smiling retailers!!!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:41 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I actually like working in retail. I worked at 3 different clothing stores. I would do it again but the pay sucks and I hate the corporate atmosphere of some stores.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:37 AM on Dec. 16, 2009