Do I disipline special needs children

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well of course. All children need discipline. You might have to go about it differently though. I can't offer any advice on that as I have no special needs children.
    Anonymous

• I would say yes, but do so in a very gentle manner and it also depends on what you are disciplining them for.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Yes, they need structure and consistency in their discipline as well as everything else. Usually a visual system works well since it's more "concrete" than something else. For my son, we use a "green choice board" where he has so many green squares, when he makes a "red choice" he has to flip one over to the red side. When we get to the end of whatever activity we're doing, then if he has any green squares left he gets one jellybean for every square that is still green. This is the same system they use at school, only they don't always use jelly beans - sometimes he gets to choose a leisure activity, or have 10 mins with a favorite toy, or go for a walk, etc. if he has any green squares left.
    His "green choices" are : finish work, speak nicely (no yelling or bad language), follow directions, and keep hands to self, feet to self, mouth to self. We've found these cover pretty much everything and he can remember them.

Answer by missanc at 8:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Yep! I have a son who is 'special needs'. He is expected to behave and do his chores, just like his brothers. I do not allow him to get away with anything just because he is 'special needs'.
    Anonymous

• YES! they are no different! this is why they act the way they do. people think u dont have to discipline them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Dec. 17, 2009