Shouldn't they behave more responsibly?

Associated Press Writer – 3 mins ago

COPENHAGEN – If they fail to reach a climate deal in Copenhagen, world leaders flying in their private jets and huddling in five-star hotels will have little to show for their efforts beyond a big, fat carbon footprint.

The U.N. estimates 40,500 tons of carbon dioxide will be pumped into the atmosphere during the 12-day conference — 90 percent of it from flights. The rest comes from waste and electricity related to transport to and from the conference center and lodging in and around the Danish city.

"There is an obsession by world leaders to be able to come in here with big entourages on their special airplanes, land at the airport and be driven in big limousines, with bigger entourages," said Asad Rehman, spokesman for the environmental group Friends of the Earth.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/climate_carbon_footprint

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Agree with Jesse and yes mancos yet again Gore lies...

These politicians are a joke bunch of flamming hypocrites..do as I say not as I do..they get to lap it up in luxury (ON OUR DIME) but want to dictate to us the temp. to keep our furnaces/AC under! LOL...remember Obama telling Amercans what temp to keep their homes? JOKE big fat joke at our expense...I am not ignorant enough to buy into the garbage
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You would think so, but they would prefer to tell us have to live while they continue to fly private planes and drive around in limos.

Anonymous

• I would hope so, but I think that they feel that it isn't THEIR personal actions that are the issue, it's everyone elses. After all this summit is geared towards pushin everyone else to commit to something while I feel like each contry should start it's own efforts based on it's own political system and then meet occasionally to collaberate on ideas.

Heck, if they wanted to go all green for the meetings they could skip they plane rides and just skype each other.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• These people don't care about the environment. They care about padding their pocketbooks by scaring us to death. It has never been about the environment and never will be about the environment.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• LOLOL, Jesse.
    Anonymous

• It's all about the checkbook ......
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• It's hard to imagine that they would choose to pollute in order to tell other countries they should not! Actually quite amusing. LOL

Al Gore spoke, and gave false facts once again. Even the scientist he quoted, as well as other scientists at the summit, have said he was quoting false facts, but no one cares.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:20 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Without flying in privately I am not clear how such high-profile leaders would get there safely. Better, greener technology would be preferable, but this must be balanced with the leaders obvious need for security.
    Bethesda_Mom

Answer by Bethesda_Mom at 12:18 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

They could skype and not meet in one place. Would be more green and would show these people actually practice what they preach. What is lost on you is this is not about the environment but more about power and money. Real environmentalists simply do and teach they don't preach and then not do. Al Gore is very offensive to me and it sickens me to know how much energy he consumes and how large his carbon footprint is. He is a pig as are most "environmentalists" that want others to do what they won't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Dec. 16, 2009

• ehhhh... i dont care.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2009